Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 06:14 PM

Bruce Willis Advert Pulled

I was hoping it was simply because he was in it but, apparently, that isn't cause enough, so:

The 'Die Hard' star blustered into an office complaining - that's not like Bruce - about the cost of his internet connection.

An employee then informs Willis that 'You could try Sky Broadband, it's totally unlimited… Sky Broadband Unlimited is £7.50 a month, which is less than half BT's standard price'.

But later in the ad it's revealed that you actually need to spend £14.50 with the company's Sky Talk and line rental package to get the deal.

This was written in small print on the screen, but only for 15 seconds during the ad, and not the whole way through.

A viewer made a complaint about the ad, which the ASA has upheld, though Sky has said that it believes the terms were made clear.

“We considered that the minimum monthly price of both Sky TV and line rental should have been clearly communicated together with the £7.50 price claim,” it said.

The ad has now been banned from broadcast in its current form.

Don't the loan companies do the same thing - show their astronomical rates of 2738% interest for a fleeting moment?

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/bruce-wil...093623671.html
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2013, 08:12 PM

Re: Bruce Willis Advert Pulled

These companies never give up trying to con people, I makes me hopping mad to see them still at it, even the old £19.99 still pops up now and then in the large shops, they've been doing this since I was a kid with the old money £19.19.11.1/2, and they are still on the old trick with the microscopic print, I'm delighted the Ad was pulled and they have to go through the expense of making another one, conning people is against the law and they should be brought to court, they don't be long about nabbing ordinary people for trying out con tricks and rightly so, let them do the same to these companies, or are they above the law?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 11:10 AM

Quite right Jem and it does make me wonder why it is the public that has to highlight these problem rather than the ASA spotting these things for themselves. Remember the adverts with Cheryl Cole - all those promises of luscious hair and unbelievably long eyelash if you use certain products - then they had to put onscreen (after complaints from the public) that Cheryl was wearing hair extentions, her hair had been dyed and she was wearing lash implants as well. It really is time it all stopped.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 11:31 AM

I use the 'mute' button for ads, or fast forward if it's a recording
If we are going to buy something, we do our own research now .. I'll not be fooled into any contract without going into detail.
I'm not interested in a Parker pen either
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

15-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I use the 'mute' button for ads
I do as well! Somehow, they're not nearly as irritating with the sound off for some reason.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I do as well! Somehow, they're not nearly as irritating with the sound off for some reason.
Same here, or at least turn the sound right down. Especially don't like noisy ones or ones that keep flashing from one pic to another over and over. Or ones that are on every single ad break till you're sick of the sight of them. There, that was a good mini moan wasn't it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2013, 09:55 AM

I was trying to think of big companies with an honest advertising policy, I'll have to watch the ads more closely and see if I can come up with a few, might make watching the ads more interesting than the terrible summer programs they stick on.
Guinness naturally springs to my mind , for as far back as I can remember they have always ran interesting and honest ads, and as far as I'm concerned Guinness is good for me and always has been, they also tell people to drink sensibly in visible print at the end of the ads, don't see McDonalds telling people to eat sensibly at the end of theirs. Toothpaste ads are among the worst offenders in my opinion, especially the ones that tell you their product can strengthen the enamel on teeth, any good dentist will tell you thats a load of rubbish. Lidi seem to tell it as it is but they often use the £4.99 thing, I often wonder who waits at the counter for the penny change, do you?.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I often wonder who waits at the counter for the penny change, do you?.
I do Jimmy and then put it in the nearest charity box
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 11:50 PM

Actually the 99p type prices are there so that the employee has to open the till to remove the 1p change. Thus avoiding them pocketing the full amount.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top