Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:24 PM

Re: Mrs Brown's Boys - Mammy's Inflation

I like Mrs. Brown, but I do think the swearing has got alot more frequent as well as changing the "e" to a "u". In a way though, it is perhaps silly for me to complain about that, because beforehand, we all knew exactly what she meant and still enjoyed it, so not sure it should make a difference - but it does somehow.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
just like Lee Evans, he would be funny if he didn't swear all the time, no need for it.
I don't like these stand up comedians who resort to swearing continually to get laughs. You never got the old ones, Tommy Cooer, Morcombe & Wise, Ken Dodd etc, doing that and alot of people still loved them. To me, that is the difference between a true funny man and someone just after cheap laughs. But also, it makes me wonder why so many people do find it hysterical in the first place?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 03:33 PM

We, the older generation are supposed to set an example, we can hardly complain if youngsters use foul language in public if we watch it happily on TV. I find it very unsettling on any program, except in situations where it adds impact, such as war or disaster movies where it actually seems natural for some strange reason. It's such a shame that it's creeping into all comedy. Billy Connolly was funny because it was unusual to hear it. Now if comedians don't swear they're "boring". What next, bad language on soaps?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't like these stand up comedians who resort to swearing continually to get laughs. You never got the old ones, Tommy Cooer, Morcombe & Wise, Ken Dodd etc, doing that and alot of people still loved them. To me, that is the difference between a true funny man and someone just after cheap laughs. But also, it makes me wonder why so many people do find it hysterical in the first place?
Some of the older fashioned comedians swore like troupers, we just didn't see it on TV.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2013, 04:09 PM

If we did we probably would have switched them off!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-08-2013, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Some of the older fashioned comedians swore like troupers, we just didn't see it on TV.
Well I guess that why I never heard them then. I wonder why it is deemed so acceptable on TV now then? The only foul mouthed ones I can recall were Bernard Manning, and Jim Davidson but I never liked either of them either.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The programme may not be everyone's cup of tea and it isn't particularly mine because I am not really a fan of comedy programmes at all.
I usually avoid so-called comedy programmes as well Meg because they tend to leave me cold but I do occasionally watch Father Ted and smile a little.

The only time I tried Mrs Brown's Boys, I was not in a particularly good mood so can't comment sensibly.
Will try it again though 'tis only fair
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 06:24 AM

If you don't like it change channels, I find it hilarious quite refreshing slapstick humour, more near the mark than any other programme.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I usually avoid so-called comedy programmes as well Meg because they tend to leave me cold

Can't agree with you there Rachel, although I rarely fall off my chair laughing at some. I wish we had many more really good comedies to go to bed on instead of so many murders.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

26-08-2013, 07:12 PM

"Trollied" isn't bad except for the couple who are always "at it". Some good characters. I know "Keeping up Appearances", "Blackadder", "Porridge", "Only Fools...", "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Scrubs", practically off by heart and still laugh when I see them. Don't see myself watching any of the newer ones over & over though!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top