Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 03:52 PM

Deafness

My paternal grandmother was stone deaf after the birth of my father she never heard his voice.
My own mother became deaf in her later years a deafness aggravated by severe tinnitus .
I often think of them so cut off and alone .
Surely this must be on of the most socially devastating of disabilities .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 03:59 PM

Re: Deafness

Yes Muddy, one of them but I think that losing your identity with dementia must be the worst.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Yes Muddy, one of them but I think that losing your identity with dementia must be the worst.
I would disagree there Alan having had to deal with both in the recent past and the present.
There is a certain serenity that comes with dementia but the deaf person lives with jangling nerves and is constantly on edge.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 04:12 PM

I'll bow to your experience Malcolm as I've only experienced knowing someone with dementia.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 04:17 PM

I've had experience of both, and while I agree that a lot of dementia sufferers achieve a certain serenity, not all do. Similarly, not all deaf people are on edge all the time. People cope differently with the same disability.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I've had experience of both, and while I agree that a lot of dementia sufferers achieve a certain serenity, not all do. Similarly, not all deaf people are on edge all the time. People cope differently with the same disability.
Of course posters usually speak in 'generalities' but let's not forget that Muddy's thread is about Deafness .... Something about which I can speak with authority.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Of course posters usually speak in 'generalities' but let's not forget that Muddy's thread is about Deafness .... Something about which I can speak with authority.
So can I Malcolm having been partially deaf and then totally deaf for the last 20 years, it's been no fun, but if I was given the choice between deafness or blindness I would choose deafness I don't think I could cope with being blind.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 05:32 PM

Crikey ... losing one's sight has to be worse than being deaf.

I now have to wear glasses and have had tinnitus on and off since my GP tried me on BP tablets.
If I ever lose my hearing then OK ... I will learn to sign or lip read but having limited or no eyesight would be unbearable.

Mum's bro was partially sighted from birth and eventually lost his sight

Apologies for going off topic
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->

if I was given the choice between deafness or blindness I would choose deafness I don't think I could cope with being blind.
I realise deafness must be a terrible lonely condition but if I had to chose I would chose the same as wishbone. At least if you're deaf you can learn to lip read and use signs.

But to be in total blackness - It must be hell!
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I realise deafness must be a terrible lonely condition but if I had to chose I would chose the same as wishbone. At least if you're deaf you can learn to lip read and use signs.

But to be in total blackness - It must be hell!
that's true Carol it is a lonely condition but that is something you get used to in time, I'm very lucky I have family and friends that understand my situation and speak to me very slowly so that I can lipread them, and that's the beauty of a forum I can't hear you and you can't hear me

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top