Join for free
Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 11:23 PM

Re: How to live with body pain when you're afraid of taking meds?

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I tried Glucosamine and it didn't work for me
there are many kinds and strengths of glucasomine, some with additions , like chondotroitin which helps with the cartlige in the knee. My tablets are called "glucasomine gold " available from Natures best---and well. they did the trick for me.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 11:41 PM

Glad they worked for you, Mariana

My doctor told me they work for some people, but not for others. However, the Women's One-A-Day Menopause vitamins I'm taking are at least working to cut back on my hot flashes. It hasn't eliminated them completely, but they're less frequent and less severe.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 12:07 AM

This is interesting research from the UK arthritis foundation.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...ng-the-disease

Recently at my U3A we had a talk by the arthritis research people here and the main message was that the only way to improve it is loss of weight, exercise (particularly swimming and hydrotherapy), a good diet and selected painkillers if necessary.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
This is interesting research from the UK arthritis foundation.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...ng-the-disease

Recently at my U3A we had a talk by the arthritis research people here and the main message was that the only way to improve it is loss of weight, exercise (particularly swimming and hydrotherapy), a good diet and selected painkillers if necessary.
Well, yes, I agree that weight loss, exercise and a good diet is the answer for LOTS of things. Not everything, but a lot.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 08:58 PM

My friend is very ,very thin,underweight, she goes swimming three times a week ,but suffers a lot of pain from her back, down her leg, she had an operation earlier this year to relieve the pressure of a disc [ I think it was] pressing on a nerve in her back, she was fine for a while ,but seems its starting again.It makes you wonder if there is a cure,or if we have to put up with the pain
Linda0818
USA

14-11-2015, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
My friend is very ,very thin,underweight, she goes swimming three times a week ,but suffers a lot of pain from her back, down her leg, she had an operation earlier this year to relieve the pressure of a disc [ I think it was] pressing on a nerve in her back, she was fine for a while ,but seems its starting again.It makes you wonder if there is a cure,or if we have to put up with the pain
A very nice person here on the forums let me in on something I wasn't aware of - Glucosamine Gel. I've taken the Glucosamine pills, but they didn't seem to work. However, I researched this gel, as well as a couple other brands, and it has like 4 and 5 star reviews from everyone who has used it, even arthritis sufferers. I have bursitis, but I believe arthritis is worse and even those with that affliction said their pain was relieved just from using the gel. It also comes in cream form.

So you might want to tell your friend about that and see if it works. It couldn't hurt to try, whether it works or not. But of the reviews I have looked at, it blew me away how many people said this stuff is like a miracle to them. I'm going to try it as well.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 03:45 AM

Vodka and codeine, I'm kind of kidding. I'm still waiting for a doctor to get an MRI approved. Anything like a good workout and hip, ankle and opposing knee all bark together. I've always been way active...this is unbelievable.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 06:57 AM

I googled the above as I'm always sceptical about everything. The Mayo Clinic (very trustworthy) site says this:

Knee osteoarthritis:

Evidence supports the use of glucosamine sulfate taken by mouth to treat knee osteoarthritis. Nearly all studies have used glucosamine sulfate supplied by Rotta Research Laboratorium, a manufacturer in Europe. It is unclear if glucosamine sold by other manufacturers are equally effective. Studies demonstrating a lack of efficacy have included people with severe osteoarthritis or used formulas other than glucosamine sulfate.

General Osteoarthritis

Several studies have found that glucosamine may benefit osteoarthritis in other body parts, aside from the knee. However, there is less evidence to support this compared to knee osteoarthritis. Knee osteoarthritis appears to respond better than other joints to any treatment. Overall, high-quality studies are lacking. More research is needed in this area.

Still - worth a try.
Linda0818
USA

14-11-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by opheila ->
Vodka and codeine, I'm kind of kidding. I'm still waiting for a doctor to get an MRI approved. Anything like a good workout and hip, ankle and opposing knee all bark together. I've always been way active...this is unbelievable.
That's what makes this so hard, when we can no longer do the things we used to do without even thinking about it. Because of the bursitis in my hips, just rising from a squatting position is a challenge (I usually have to use nearby furniture to get back up again) and going up stairs isn't easy anymore either. I'm 52 years old and I've got the joints of an 80 year old.

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I googled the above as I'm always sceptical about everything. The Mayo Clinic (very trustworthy) site says this:

Knee osteoarthritis:

Evidence supports the use of glucosamine sulfate taken by mouth to treat knee osteoarthritis. Nearly all studies have used glucosamine sulfate supplied by Rotta Research Laboratorium, a manufacturer in Europe. It is unclear if glucosamine sold by other manufacturers are equally effective. Studies demonstrating a lack of efficacy have included people with severe osteoarthritis or used formulas other than glucosamine sulfate.

General Osteoarthritis

Several studies have found that glucosamine may benefit osteoarthritis in other body parts, aside from the knee. However, there is less evidence to support this compared to knee osteoarthritis. Knee osteoarthritis appears to respond better than other joints to any treatment. Overall, high-quality studies are lacking. More research is needed in this area.

Still - worth a try.
The glucosamine I took did nothing, but perhaps these studies are right, maybe it depends on the brand/manufacturer. Admittedly, I grabbed the least expensive bottle I could find. Maybe I just need to invest a few more dollars into something better.
Robin
Canada
Robin is female 

21-11-2015, 03:49 PM

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but I too have hip bursitis and it's bad. I continue to walk my dogs for one hour a day ... slowly. When I get home I ice the joints for 10-15 minutes and do so any time they flare up, but take it very easy otherwise. I'm about to start acupuncture to see if it helps. I eat salmon regularly (omega-3's) and any sort of anti-inflammatory spice I can get my hands on turmeric, ginger, cayenne, cinnamon.

Also, you must get to the root of what is causing the bursitis to begin with. In my case it was my job, which I finished in October, but after 7+ years it will take me a few months to heal.

Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top