Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Advice please

Hi everyone, would appreciate your valued advice please.

Took Ollie and Flynn, my 8 month old LaChons (part Bichon Frise part Lhasa Apso) for their groom yesterday.
This is their third groom and normally no problems at all, but this time when we got them back home I noticed that Flynn was sitting down, turning this way and that and continuously licking his you know what! it seemed to be driving him silly. I though he would settle down but after a couple of hours when he had a little sleep he was at it again, sitting down, licking it from the right, standing up sitting down again, licking it from the left. it was continuous and at one stage he was whimpering. When I looked at it, it looked rather red and sore.

I looked online first to see if there was anything ever written about it and on one vet's site it said that if your dog has just returned from being groomed, and this happens, nine times out of ten it is down to "Clipper Burn" where the groomer has shaved him too close for comfort!!. The only problem with this site is it was American and they said to use creams that I had never heard of.

I tried phoning the groomer to ask her advice, She's a very experienced groomer for the last 40 years and the pups love seeing her, but unfortunately she was closed. I have sent her an email asking her to put this on Flynn's chart as I don't wish this to happen again and she will be reminded when we next visit to ensure it doesn't.

I also asked her advice but still waiting for an email back as I remember her saying she was looking forward to today as she was going out for the day.

So here I am asking please for your advice. I have never had small dogs before (always Labbies) so never come across this problem before.

It was so bad last night I had to put an old T shirt on him so he couldn't get to himself. He's a bit better today but still licking himself at every opportunity.

Help please! do you think it would harm him if I put a little Vaseline on it. I know he will lick most of it off but I was thinking it may alleviate what is obviously his very sore little willy!! He's still as boisterous as ever though.

Any advice please?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 10:08 PM

Re: Advice please

get a dog hood from your vets. Licking a sore could start self inflicted inflamination , then you have even more problems.
This type is what you want

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Anti_Scratc...ky0aAkcK8P8HAQ

Your vet should have them ,so get one ASAP

Some suggest a bandage but dogs are renoun to pulling them off
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 10:11 PM

Shroppy, I'm not sure if you talking about his bum or his willy?

Have you had a really close look to see if there any red or pinkish patches of infammation on the skin? Is it getting worse or easing off now? Has there been any blood where the skin has perhaps been 'nicked' with the clipper blade?

You could use a collar like Reelspeed suggested, but personally I prefer these collars for my dogs.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Comfy_Colla...FUq17Qodha0M0Q

However, a collar will not find out the cause of the irritation.
I might try some Aloe Vera gell spread thinly on the skin. It is harmless, soothing, and especially good for burns - if it is that.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 10:13 PM

Hi again, just to let you know that the groomer emailed me back. She said that she felt terrible that this had happened. She said Flynn had had a few mats there but she didn't realise he was sensitive (how could she know) and she has put it on his record. She suggested I use some coconut oil to ease any soreness but if not improved by tomorrow she or her colleague would drive here with some cream that she uses for any pet that suffers this irritation. I thought this was very kind of her.

Have any posters on here ever come across this problem? If so, what was your solution please?
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

05-02-2017, 10:14 PM

I wouldn't put anything on it because it might pick up germs then your dog would be in more trouble
Meep
manchester uk
Meep is female 

05-02-2017, 10:15 PM

bathe with warm salty water if he will let you
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 10:20 PM

Yes quite often as we owned a big boarding kennel (licenced for 118 dogs and 42 cats) for 21 years
We found the type of collar as in my link was the best as it is scratch proof and is standard type used by vets.

You would be surprised at the number of boarders that had been caught up rushing past trees etc before coming into kennels and cutting the skin and the owners had not noticed

I would worry about the type mups suggested as dogs would try and scratch it off and possible catch their foot in it
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

05-02-2017, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Shroppy, I'm not sure if you talking about his bum or his willy?

Have you had a really close look to see if there any red or pinkish patches of infammation on the skin? Is it getting worse or easing off now? Has there been any blood where the skin has perhaps been 'nicked' with the clipper blade?
Hi Mups, thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't make myself clear. It is his willy. There is no blood thankfully as I would have been to the Vet in a shot, but the tip looks red and is obviously sore. He is not as bad today as yesterday but he is still licking himself. The groomer has suggested Coconut oil so unless anyone has a tried and tested solution I will of course try that. I had to put one of my old long t-shirts on him last night so he could not get to himself! he looked a picture bless him and it stopped him for a while.
As I say, he is not as bad today but he is still continuously licking himself and worry that it may irritate it further.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

05-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Realspeed and Meep - thank you both for your replies.
Meeps I have bathed him in warm water but didn't like to put anything in the water in case it affected his irritation.

Realspeed - an Elizabethan collar would be absolutely ideal in normal circumstances as it would prevent him from reaching the parts, unfortunately this would not work in this case because his pesky brother Ollie cannot be kept separate from Flynn within the household and it would be too cruel to keep Flynn in a cage all the time as this would be so restricting for him, I know one has to be cruel to be kind but he would go bananas being locked up and so would Ollie. I know only too well that Ollie would see the collar as a new plaything and would be chewing the life out of it and making life very uncomfortable for Flynn. Unfortunately the collar wouldn't last two minutes with Ollie at him. Thanks for the suggestion though.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-02-2017, 11:00 PM

we always kept that type of collar at the kennels incase of an emergency. May be an idea to keep a dog first aid kit handy as well, your vet can advise on that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top