Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Re: 10 Pet Requests

Thanks Cate, I am most certainly ready for another dog here. Not a puppy because I might not have the patience to go through all that again. I found the dog I want some some months ago in our local rescue centre, her name's Jenny, 13 years old and cross breed of some sort, bless her. Her previous owners had to give her up because they were too old to care for her. I have already chatted to Plantman about Jenny. Trouble is, my husband won't allow it and he won't move one bit! As well as Bobby we had Murphy, who I lost three years ago, a gentle giant long haired German Shepherd. He was epileptic and I cared for him for nine years (life changing). I felt like you at first but if you've got it in you to love a dog, the home, garden and time then I know that Murphy and Bobby would be happy I've got one. In the meantime I sometimes 'dogsit' my son's crazy, bonkers 'Dizzy the Dog'. My friend only told me last week, 'Kick out the hubby and get Jenny in!' Watch this space?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Keep working on your hubby Maryl. Tell him you need a dog, you don't know what it is, but you need to have one again. Keep on and on and on (like I did) and maybe he will think again. Keep on talking, talking, talking about dogs and eventually you could well win out. Good luck - I understand what you must be feeling, so don't give up.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 01:55 PM

My husband didn't want our dog until he met him. Your husband is probably worried about the what happens when this one dies situation. Jenny is quite old and would not have many years with you and he could be looking at that as a reason not even to contemplate having her.

My friend works for an organisation called Barking Mad, she looks after dogs in her home for a fee while their owners are on holiday or just unable to be there for them for a week or so.

She uses hosts, I was one of her hosts and she used to ring up and ask if I would look after dogs for a few nights or even a week. I never had any trouble at all they all got along with my own dog, I didn't have them long enough to get to attached, I was paid a little per night for just feeding them, walking them and getting lots of cuddles.

The dogs bring their own overnight bag with food, blankets, toys and treats they bring their own water and food bowls and there is usually a list of likes and dislikes.

I loved doing this but now my arthritis is quite bad so I can't have as much fun with the dogs as I used to.

This seems a good way of having another dog around at the time it suits you and they can't get into your heart either.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
The dogs bring their own overnight bag with food, blankets, toys and treats they bring their own water and food bowls and there is usually a list of likes and dislikes.
How cute is that? Good for you Cate Yes Jenny is an oldie, all the more reason she should be re-homed with MEEEE and not stuck in a kennel.

Aerolor, nagging recommences at 6pm this evening when he gets in from work!

Thanks for the encouragement, I needed that!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Best of luck to you Maryl, Remind hubs that you don't ask for much and this is just a small thing that will make you very happy particularly if he is out of the house all day. You are quite right she should be with you.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Aww thanks for sharing CC
maryl
UK

30-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Yes Azz, Cate's a real gem for stepping in to help those dogs and owners out, don't know if I could give them back though.
Back to Jenny ...... husband came home early at 4pm, instead of 6pm! I was a bit put out and not prepared and instead of biding my time, blurted out 'Jenny's still there you know ......' He went 'Right OK' and went straight down to his shed. I've popped down there with his cup of tea and he's still there. Why oh why didn't I just let him get in from work first, relax a bit, then bring it up later on ........... blast it!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

30-06-2011, 07:07 PM

What are his reasons for not having Jenny Maryl? He is out all day and then spends time in his shed doing what men do in their sheds leaving you time to love Jenny. How would it affect him? Why is he so unmoving, I know nagging doesn't always work but, I mean what would he say if you said, 'Oh by the way Jenny is arriving tomorrow' ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Excellent post CC.

There is nothing that can enrich our life more than an animal, that totally relies on us for everything. That bond of trust that forms between us and our animals is so very precious, and it should never be broken.
maryl
UK

30-06-2011, 09:46 PM

His reason is that I will not be able to take her for walks in the cold and rain because of my COPD. That is the only thing he can come up with. She is 13 for goodness sake and has arthritis so will not be romping all over the fields. We have a very large garden and there is a little wood just behind us I can take her where she can roam around and have a good sniff about. I've waited too long, I might lose her so I think I will just go and get her and be damned with it. Will have to go through the whole process of inspections and a letter from our old vets but that will be a breeze. The rescue centre are putting the adpotion forms in the post for me tomorrow. To be honest, Murphy's epilepsy did change our lives completely for nine years but I was the one looking after him, all of it and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I am thinking that he is afraid that we will have a dog with problems again. Well that's quite likely at her age, all the more reason she should not be where she is.
The only ever time in my life I was without a dog was when I left home at 19 until I married a couple of years later.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Cate and thanks for your post Plantman.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top