Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Re: Donald Trump has arrived

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Respect is not given gratuously, it has to be EARNED and this barsteward Trump has done nothing to earn that respect, and therefore deserves all opprobrium that can be mustered against him.
Imo, we should respect the position UJ.
As per usual, we'll agree to disagree....

And, I meant show respect for the reason he is here.......
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I agree we need to grow some backbone (pigs might fly....)
But, he is the POTUS and should be treated accordingly.

The reason I feel many are hypocrites, is because where are the protests / blimps / forum threads when as I said we happily entertain the Chinese & Saudi's for example?

People need to get their priorities right and protest those that are demonstrably the worst.
However, it seems trendy to jump on the hate DT bandwagon.
And lets not forget the actual reason he is here, and show some bloody respect instead of trying to turn it into a virtue signalling pantomime.

Right just to be clear. If we have business or diplomatic reasons to meet overseas leaders then yes we must accommodate them and show them respect.
That should be enough for Chinese leaders, Saudi and Donald Trump.

What we should not do is set up meetings with the Queen and televise the whole charade.
Our Queen is a figurehead and is 92. Why must she be subjected to this shit.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Right just to be clear. If we have business or diplomatic reasons to meet overseas leaders then yes we must accommodate them and show them respect.

What we should not do is set up meetings with the Queen and televise the whole charade.
I give up - can't be bothered.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Typical child like personal attack from you again. This is supposed to be over 50s. Grow up.

Nigel Farage has already indicated he would consider privatising the NHS. He and the ERG look pretty right wing to me.

Labour did more to privatise the NHS with PFI than anyone else has ever done

Your on a bandwagon.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Labour did more to privatise the NHS with PFI than anyone else has ever done

Your on a bandwagon.

Can’t believe it. Something I agree with. Yes they did. Much to my disgust. But make no mistake the right wing want to remove the NHS completely.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Can’t believe it. Something I agree with. Yes they did. Much to my disgust. But make no mistake the right wing want to remove the NHS completely.
I don't think they do at all - the NHS wastes so much money and because its so sacred when it runs out of money, it just gets more. My girlfriend is a pharmacist and the money wasted on prescriptions is eye watering.

I think a complete overhaul is needed but it needs cross party initiative to do it. Otherwise everyone gets upset because the left will think the right will privatise it and the right will think they will use it as an excuse to squander money and put in layers of unnecessary management etc.

1. Take OTC medicines off prescriptions unless you are out of work, disabled etc. Tax payers should be able to buy their own aspirin and sun cream.

2. Pay off PFI now - save the money in interest payments

3. Set up and centralised purchasing system to maximise stock control and buying power.

4. Enforce e-prescriptions for the under 50s (we all have mobile phones)

5. Put in a fair system for the self employed so they can pay National Insurance too - flat rate of £10 per month to start with.

6. Introduce educational subsidies for NHS workers (students) provided they buy in to do 10 years service in the NHS before being eligible for the private sector.

7. Integrate hospitals and health care centres with IT systems. I wrote a white paper on this a few years ago with a colleague. It's based on a central database called "Big Bin" that has fields and structures available for all admin, medical etc types. All external systems can interface into it to import and export data, search, store x-ray, CT, MRI scans/pictures without having to roll out loads of software - its internet/intranet based, hosted in the cloud - it would make patient data available to all health care professionals anywhere in the world.

That's my view anyway
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
but it's ok to roll out the red carpet to the saudi's and chinese?
Hypocrites the lot of you.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 08:37 PM

This is a state visit. One head of state visiting another. There is protocol to adhere to. Your queen is very much aware of her duties as your head of state, performing her duties probably when you were born. She would certainly take umbrage if you suggested she is too old for this. You can and should be very proud of her.
Theresa may probably had her reasons for inviting trump, brexit related, to get a trade deal. But first of all this is a state visit, business comes second.

As to what you said about receiving the chinese and showing them respect. That was a trade visit. Against trump's visit you can protest. When the chinese visited several hundreds were present to get international attention for the situation of chinese atrocities in tibet. Chinese (in your country!) screened the protesters from Deng. Media attention was nill.
Showing respect to the chinese is respecting their money, with which they buy important parts of your homeland.

I'm certainly no fan of trump, but not properly receiving him would shame you as a state, not him and his ravings.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Respect is not given gratuously, it has to be EARNED and this barsteward Trump has done nothing to earn that respect, and therefore deserves all opprobrium that can be mustered against him.

Oh please how much respect has most of our RF earned ?
Not to mention our politicians although they at least have made some effort .
The respect is due to the position of POTUS .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

03-06-2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Oh please how much respect has most of our RF earned ?
Not to mention our politicians although they at least have made some effort .
The respect is due to the position of POTUS .
And the fact that part of the visit was to honour those lost on both sides in the war.
Some people just don't get it Muddy.

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top