Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Re: Do dogs really poo facing North?

Not having any pets I cannot comment from experience on this. However, first thoughts would be, putting it bluntly "what a lot of c*^p! Second thought would be to wonder if these scientists and researchers don't have something better and more useful to do!

On the other hand though a lot in nature seems to be relevant and logical. Taking this into account, plus what mostly happens with like and unlike magnetic poles, perhaps this preference just makes the task easier?
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 09:01 AM

I've just Googled this and yes, keeping to the north/south axis is given as a valid reason for dogs to go round in circles before taking a dump.

I've always understood the reasons to be:

They are trampling the grass down to make their position the most comfortable it can be.

They are ensuring they are downwind from any predators that might smell their poo.

They are surveying the surrounding area for possible attackers.

My dog does the round and round thing in long grass but she settles and "goes" in all different directions, if it's supposed to be in alignment then she's failing.

In short grass or where there's no grass she dispenses with the rigmarole and just deposits droppings wherever she wants.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 09:10 AM

I was thinking maybe we could hold a Nationwide study - a bit like Springwatch but Poowatch.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Nope, Dolly was definitely facing South this morning, I know 'cos it's where Glastonbury is. But then she is a bit confused.
Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
If she was facing south Tessa then her bum was surely
facing north?
Regards Donkeyman!
Yes, we need to check what they mean by 'facing' - which end?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Ah, Longie, I luvs ya but you have got to get a life, man!

What difference would any kind of answer to this question make upon your life when looking back? Tsk, tsk.....

You have made me smile at you, though, so I suppose this question did make a mark upon my life. There you go....

It keeps me off the pavements RN.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Do dogs in Australia pad round in the opposite direction before defecating?
Like the bathwater eh Pyxel?
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was thinking maybe we could hold a Nationwide study - a bit like Springwatch but Poowatch.
I think you've allready done that LD, sounds like80% of OFF
are out on the streets right now?

Regards Donkeyman!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I've just Googled this and yes, keeping to the north/south axis is given as a valid reason for dogs to go round in circles before taking a dump.

I've always understood the reasons to be:

They are trampling the grass down to make their position the most comfortable it can be.

They are ensuring they are downwind from any predators that might smell their poo.

They are surveying the surrounding area for possible attackers.

My dog does the round and round thing in long grass but she settles and "goes" in all different directions, if it's supposed to be in alignment then she's failing.

In short grass or where there's no grass she dispenses with the rigmarole and just deposits droppings wherever she wants.
That's what I always thought, too.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I

She does not like squatting on long grass in any direction particularly if it is wet .
i don't blame her; neither would I.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-06-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think you've allready done that LD, sounds like80% of OFF
are out on the streets right now?

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top