Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 11:41 AM

Re: Steak Pie!

Perhaps if more people did take the time and trouble to complain we wouldn't be faced with such dismal food now. When we have a problem we tend to go back to the shop sainsburys give money back almost with no proof, Tesco want proof of purchase and the remains of the product, and morrisons will normally give a voucher.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 01:39 PM

When you order a pie from the Uppercrust Pie Company we make it just for you. We carry no stocks, each pie is hand made to order ensuring that it always reaches you in perfect condition.
Whats that ! Best before date May 2015 ?
Pappy
Scotland UK
Pappy is male  Pappy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 04:03 PM

I'm lucky to live in a village with its own butcher who still makes all his own pies - all of which are delicious. He always says that if he didn't take such care with his produce, his customers would buy cheaper at the supermarkets and he would go out of business. There's a message in there somewhere. Support your local tradespeople if you want quality. I know that not all of us can do that, but those who can, should.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 04:45 PM

When you order a pie from the Uppercrust Pie Company we make it just for you. We carry no stocks, each pie is hand made to order ensuring that it always reaches you in perfect condition.

Is that what their blurb says? If that's the case then they should be ashamed of themselves to make slurry filled pies by hand.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pappy ->
I'm lucky to live in a village with its own butcher who still makes all his own pies - all of which are delicious. He always says that if he didn't take such care with his produce, his customers would buy cheaper at the supermarkets and he would go out of business. There's a message in there somewhere. Support your local tradespeople if you want quality. I know that not all of us can do that, but those who can, should.
I make my own beef pies too with beef skirt/red wine/onions/mushrooms/juniper berries which my DIL says is the best meal ever . I do cheat and occasionally buy the puff pasty these days.
It is so easy to make a pie I wouldn't consider buying one with unknown content.
I remember one of the girls at work had an M&S steak pie the content of which looked like a grey sludge with 4 little lumps in it.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
You'll probably get a voucher or something and a standard apology if you're lucky. Suggesting they actually have a pastry chef is a laugh - more like a factory full of drones who watch a machine slop the goo into the pastry cases. Good letter though, but don't hold your breath.
On the packaging it refers to "their Pastry Chef", hence my suggesting that they kick him / her out in my emailed letter of complaint!

To all those of you who informed me that what's on the outside packaging is never what you get - I do realise that thank you but it'd been a long, hot day at work, I was tired and my wife was getting stressed by her hip at the time so my suggestion that we try M&S didn't go down too well at the time, hence the purchase at ASDA.

We've had pies from them before and some are quite good.

However, this time this one wasn't.

Just to prove the know-it-alls wrong I thought you'd all like to know I've had an apologetic response and they say they've referred my complaint to their Quality Team, (I don't think they actually will have one!), but it's the right response.

After all, this pie had a best before date of May 2015!

We of course never noticed this at the time of purchase - MUST have been dog-tired!

What the Hell's in a pie that's got a life of almost a year?!

They've also requested my home address so then can send a package "as a gesture of goodwill" so I'm happy about that as I could have taken this much further really and they know that of course.

The last time I actually complained about a food item we'd bought it was a cup-a-soup and that company sent us a box of about £30 worth of their products, which included soups, tea bags, butter, cheese spreads etcetera.

It's the principal though; as a Nation, we in the UK do not complain enough about poor quality and we really should.

We're going to make our own pies if we ever feel like a pie again though! stevmk2

ps: A long time ago I worked as a driver for a small, local butcher but I also had to work in the shop.
Some of the things they did with meat to "improve" how it looked would put you off buying meat for life from any local butcher.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pappy ->
I can vouch for that . Your butcher makes delicious sausages and burgers, other than all the usual steaks, etc. You forgot to mention that he actually gets disappointed when you are going in for burgers for the BBQ because it always rains!!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 07:35 PM

Even although I live on my own now, I still don't like buying ready meals. I prefer to make my own.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Mind you I have poor stuff out of M&S over time, the last was a "hand finished " Melton Mobray pork pie . A more uninteresting grey dry apology for a product which has denomination protection I have never had the misfortune to come across. It is now on our "Don't Buy list". I since learn from the radio that the pork is Danish and not British even.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
On the packaging it refers to "their Pastry Chef", hence my suggesting that they kick him / her out in my emailed letter of complaint!

To all those of you who informed me that what's on the outside packaging is never what you get - I do realise that thank you but it'd been a long, hot day at work, I was tired and my wife was getting stressed by her hip at the time so my suggestion that we try M&S didn't go down too well at the time, hence the purchase at ASDA.

We've had pies from them before and some are quite good.

However, this time this one wasn't.

Just to prove the know-it-alls wrong I thought you'd all like to know I've had an apologetic response and they say they've referred my complaint to their Quality Team, (I don't think they actually will have one!), but it's the right response.

After all, this pie had a best before date of May 2015!

We of course never noticed this at the time of purchase - MUST have been dog-tired!

What the Hell's in a pie that's got a life of almost a year?!

They've also requested my home address so then can send a package "as a gesture of goodwill" so I'm happy about that as I could have taken this much further really and they know that of course.

The last time I actually complained about a food item we'd bought it was a cup-a-soup and that company sent us a box of about £30 worth of their products, which included soups, tea bags, butter, cheese spreads etcetera.

It's the principal though; as a Nation, we in the UK do not complain enough about poor quality and we really should.

We're going to make our own pies if we ever feel like a pie again though! stevmk2

ps: A long time ago I worked as a driver for a small, local butcher but I also had to work in the shop.
Some of the things they did with meat to "improve" how it looked would put you off buying meat for life from any local butcher.
That sounds like a result at least, and you may be surprised a big company like that may well have a Quality team !

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top