Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2014, 05:21 PM

Re: Steak Pie!

Originally Posted by lilac ->
I once visited Campbells soup factory..and the flavour of the day was chicken..I watched fork lifts lifting up dolavs of chicken feet..heads..and other unmentionables..

The smell of them made me sick..(literally)
Quite lilac....the Heinz buyer told me that Heinz bought all the reject birds from the chicken factory. I couldnīt remember the name of the place the other day, it was Thornhills based in Longstone. I know people had to work but for the life of me I could never have worked in such a place, the smell of the workers (who mostly came from around Chesterfield I believe) truly was grim. My aunt would only allow them in her little shop one at a time because otherwise the smell was overpowering and lingered for ever.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Quite lilac....the Heinz buyer told me that Heinz bought all the reject birds from the chicken factory
God..you'd have to be a really bad chicken to be rejected by the chicken factory..

Butterfly2013
Canada
Butterfly2013 is female  Butterfly2013 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 03:05 PM

This made me laugh, sorry LOL Everything we buy is advertised to look way better then it actually is. We see this on magazines, packaging, TV, etc...nothing new. It is a normal practice. Make it look and sound good and we will sell. When we all know that 99% of these products are machine made !!

As for the mail you got back from them, sure, you got one, most probably a standard generic mail that they send to everyone who complains.

There is complaining and worth our efforts, and depending what we complain about, then yes, definitely. Otherwise, just buy a product from another company, there are some good ones out there for sure. Or make our own from scratch
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pappy ->
I'm lucky to live in a village with its own butcher who still makes all his own pies - all of which are delicious. He always says that if he didn't take such care with his produce, his customers would buy cheaper at the supermarkets and he would go out of business. There's a message in there somewhere. Support your local tradespeople if you want quality. I know that not all of us can do that, but those who can, should.
I agree with you Pappy.

We are the same, we don't have pastry very often but when we do it's our local butcher's homemade and baked on the premises pies we have, great chunks of tender steak or chicken pieces and not stuffed with sloppy gravy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 08:32 AM

Wasn't it always thus?

wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 10:36 AM

when the wife buys pies she buys them from this company
and a real fine pie they are too https://www.therealpieco.co.uk/produ...ory/pie-packs/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:29 AM

They look tempting!
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 09:31 AM

Never mind what goes into the pie - what goes into the pastry? It must be amongst the most unhealthy food ever invented by man - all that grease.....Ugh!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 03:33 PM

My partner bought a couple of steak and haggis pies in a Dunblane butcher's yesterday which he'll have for dinner tonight. I'll wait for the verdict.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top