Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Disposing of ashes , a bit odd.

I have already stated my preferred form of 'disposal', a simple woodland burial where I hope to do the least harm and contribute to the growth of flowers and trees.

My son is attending a funeral today and I am told the person in question is to be cremated. The ashes will then be placed in a firework which will be launched and explode distributing them over the hills .

I have never heard of this before but apparently is is becoming quite a trend ..
http://www.heavensabovefireworks.com/

Am I alone in finding this all a bit odd
I feel I might get an inappropriate fit of the giggles seeing 'someone' fizzing off in a firework
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Re: Disposing of ashes , a bit odd.

People do all sorts of things with the Cremains of loved ones..... including divvying them up amongst family members and scattering parts here and there.

That's odd to me... Well... My sister got granny's leg... I got her arm and part of her liver.. Mike took her other leg and her pancreas. The rest we tossed around the forest.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 02:31 PM

After fifteen years my Mum still has my dad's ashes in a cupboard. She always meant to carry out his wishes and scatter them in Clumber Park where he was at his happiest but she could never face doing it as she says it would be like losing him all over again, so when my Mum goes we will scatter their ashes together in their favourite bit of forest.

My preference is the same as Meg's, a woodland burial in a cardboard coffin with a tree planted over me, a hazel preferably because I've always been a bit nuts....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
After fifteen years my Mum still has my dad's ashes in a cupboard. She always meant to carry out his wishes and scatter them in Clumber Park where he was at his happiest but she could never face doing it as she says it would be like losing him all over again, so when my Mum goes we will scatter their ashes together in their favourite bit of forest.

My preference is the same as Meg's, a woodland burial in a cardboard coffin with a tree planted over me, a hazel preferably because I've always been a bit nuts....
Can you even do that? It's not legal here. The law says one must be burried in a cement vault at least 6 feet underground and in a sealed coffin. It's a public health issue I would think.. You can't have assorted remains everywhere for animals to dig up and scatter the bones.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Can you even do that? It's not legal here. The law says one must be burried in a cement vault at least 6 feet underground and in a sealed coffin. It's a public health issue I would think.. You can't have assorted remains everywhere for animals to dig up and scatter the bones.
It's relatively new over here Audrey but very eco-friendly. The woodlands that we speak of are just like a regular cemetery but people are buried in biodegradable coffins, six feet under and have a tree (or not) of their choice planted above them.

So earth to earth.......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 03:19 PM

I haven't a clue about burials especially cremations, which we have both opted for. What happens afterwards will I be placed in the crematorium grounds ......?
AudreyII
USA

13-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I haven't a clue about burials especially cremations, which we have both opted for. What happens afterwards will I be placed in the crematorium grounds ......?
Or kept under the bed or in a closet. I'm not familiar with how the law is in the UK, but here, a spouses remains belong to the spouse.. no matter what is put in a will or designated as final wishes. Most go along with what the deceased wants.. but really, they don't have to. You truely belong to them.. and if there is no spouse, you belong to your closest next of kin. scary... My Son's wife would put me in the cat liter tray.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 03:56 PM

I couldn't bear to scatter my loved one's ashes anywhere. After cremation I would have the ashes buried in the cemetery where I could go & visit when I felt I wanted to be close to them.
I'm not a religious person so it's illogical really but that's what I would do.

Hubby says he'd keep my ashes in an urn on the mantelshelf - I'm not sure if her means it or not!
AudreyII
USA

13-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I couldn't bear to scatter my loved one's ashes anywhere. After cremation I would have the ashes buried in the cemetery where I could go & visit when I felt I wanted to be close to them.
I'm not a religious person so it's illogical really but that's what I would do.

Hubby says he'd keep my ashes in an urn on the mantelshelf - I'm not sure if her means it or not!
Some people really go to extremes to scatter ashes. My Sister in Law went to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee and climbed a mountain to scatter her sons ashes because that was what he wanted.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 05:05 PM

My husband & I are donating our bodies to science. The physical body is just a shell. The soul moves on as soon as you die. That's our belief.

If someone needing eyes needs mine, he can have them, same with organs.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top