Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 11:46 PM

No Electricity

The electricity went off in my area about 7pm tonight for about 4 hrs, and I realised how much we all take it for granted. I managed to read for a limited period, but couldn't make a drink as everything is electric.

Just as I had come to bed the power came back on . Great! But I wondered how others cope when the power goes off and how you occupy your time.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 11:51 PM

Re: No Electricity

ours usually goes off in winter and there's no alternative but go to bed!
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2014, 11:56 PM

During our last hurricane we were without power for 5 days. Luckily we have a small gas generator so we were able to run the refrigerator, microwave and lamp but no heat. I did a lot of reading because there was no tv or computer for about a week or so.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 04:51 AM

That's a coincidence LT because our's went of 3 or 4 days ago for about two hours. That's the first time in about 30 or more years. What did I do? I did some puzzles in the newspaper.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Depends at what time of day it goes off and for how long, our street has 60 houses, built in two different decades, and is on two different circuits, our half has lots of power losses, the other half has never had one, too my knowledge, because that half is on the same circuit as an installation of national importance, it is annoying when our lights go out, but 20 yards away everything is O.K.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Ours went off last Tuesday evening too, my neighbour had cakes in the oven . Luckily they were nearly done and finished off in the residual heat.

We get a lot of power cuts here ,one winter it was off for 4 days and this house is all electric nothing else. I managed ok though and even made drop scones in a pan on a one ring camping stove .

The last one was caused by squirrels which climb the ivy on the poles and get into the little box at the top.It went off with a bang and the whole house shook .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 08:39 AM

As im all electric im prepared these days. Wind-up Radio, and Torch, candles and Ipod mean at least i have light and sound, can read or draw usually get things back to normal in a few hours at most.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 09:05 AM

We had no power for five days once in the early nineties after a blizzard. Luckily we had a gas fire in one room but had to heat food with a plumbers blowlamp.

After that we made sure we always have a camping stove and full gas bottle in the garage and a small generator for emergencies, but have never needed them since.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 09:23 AM

We never (touch wood) get power failures in my area, though my sis up in Essex gets them frequently. Mum used to, as well.

I only have a two ring camping gas stove in the kitchen, but I could only heat water for a drink, or put something in a frying pan/saucepan.

Don't know about entertaining myself though: would depend on time of day and if iPad fully charged (to connect to internet through iPhone), or if light enough to read.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2014, 10:20 AM

Luckily we have gas so could make food/drinks. We played cards by candle light - it was quite fun.
It was nice when the power came back on though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top