Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 12:04 AM

Your birthday - do you treat yourself?

Speaking as someone who now lacks loved ones to help me 'celebrate' my birthday, after my disastrous 60th (no ok, we won't go back there!), I have started to look at ways to treat myself each year.

In 2013 I had a caravan stay in Clacton and went to a oft visited restaurant, but the food wasn't as nice.

Been looking at other holidays and had considered so many. To Malta (too expensive), coach trips (didn't fancy the destinations left with spare room), Isle of Wight, back to Bournemouth. Then today I found a good one, from Mon to Fri visiting the Coronation Street tour and also Holmfirth & Peak District.

Started to book (price was right, £299), but came against a major hurdle. No pick up in my immediate area. Arrrrrghhh!

So I looked at the tour by itself, and realised I could DIY it £16). Tripadviser comments showed it was possible to do it in a day, by train, from London. Hmmmm. They're right. Off peak ticket prices, Ret, come up as £54. So for about £70 I've got myself a day trip to Manchester, on my birthday, walking the famous cobbles, again, of Weatherfield!

The last time I went Baldwin's factory was there. Someone on TA found the backyards and the smoking area of the Rovers.

Just need to book train tomorrow as email address didn't work on Trainline booking. Tour ticket booked/paid for.

Next year I shall endeavour to do something just as exciting.

How do you celebrate your birthdays?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 12:08 AM

Re: Your birthday - do you treat yourself?

as I get older I celebrate them less often, a woman doesn't like those numbers to increase, in fact I've decided to go backwards
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 12:13 AM

Forgot to mention. (A) the tours finish in October, and (B) I can't get to sleep!

Oh no Honey, I love celebrating mine.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 12:16 AM

funny you mentioned tours, we were just talking today about taking a day trip by coach, something we never do so it would be a nice change, may go to Whitby or Scarborough as we haven't been to either in years
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 12:32 AM

First let me say Jazzi - if you fancy another trip to Manchester, we of the Manchester and surrounding counties club (I'm Derbyshire) are having a little meet on September 19th. You would be most welcome to join us.

My birthday is on Christmas Eve and I'm usually too busy to treat myself- but I do go out for a meal with my lovely family.

It's good that you treat yourself - you're worth it.
Enjoy.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

18-08-2014, 08:11 AM

Thanks, Carol, for the invite. I'll see how I get on with this daytrip, and what the fares would be like for your day. What time is your meet?

I now have to shoot off and book my train tickets: been on my mind all night.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Hi Jazzi - Two of the girls are meeting me off my Trans Peak coach at Manchester central bus station at 11.00am. Two more will arrive later. We plan lunch for 1.00pm and a ride on the Manchester big wheel. (preferably before lunch)lol.

After lunch we're undecided what we're doing yet - it depends on the weather I guess.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

18-08-2014, 08:29 AM

Oooh, sounds fun. I've just booked my train tickets for my birthday and saved even more money by taking a later train home! Get me, eh? AND I've bought a bus ticket for getting around Manchester, and with all charges etc brought the price down to £52.20. Not bad for a day out oop north.

I'll bear your day out in mind, if you are sure you can accommodate another person?! Thanks.

ETA: To save a shed load of money I am on the 10.00 out of London Euston arriving 12.07. The charge for this is £19. A 9.40 dep arr 11.49 is £39.85. Anything earlier is about £113.

Return is £27, leaving Man Piccadilly 18.35 - 20.42. Euston is on my tube line so only a few stops and I'm almost home.

I will have a wander around the city after my tour, have an early meal and take bus rides around (the bus ticket was £3.70). I think it's an original and fun way to enjoy my birthday. Looking forward to it, and of course I love Corrie.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

18-08-2014, 09:49 AM

Sounds like a lovely day to look forward to Jazzi. I went to the Corrie set many years ago. The houses were only 3/4 size I seem to remember!

If you decide you'd like to join us on our meet - just go to the Over 50's club for Manchester and let us know... You would be most welcome.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Oh Jazzi how lovely for you booking a day out, it is brilliant when you can do that, like you I would need to know that everything was in place, so now you can get excited for the day to arrive.

I know you will let us know how you get on.

I don't bother that much with my birthday, usually have a nice meal depending on what day it falls on.

We have started looking at new ways of getting away Jazzi, as I am getting very wary of travelling by car. We went on the train to Harrogate in January and as long as you plan your trip well you can get it fairly cheaply if you are willing to go off peak so to speak. We are also looking at coach holidays but they would have to be reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top