Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Re: If help is needed..

I wouldn´t change a wheel even if I knew how because I would worry I hadn´t tightened the nuts up enough and having tried in the past I couldn´t even get the wheel nuts off, not enough strength. In past years I have twice been assisted by kind people but the only assistance I could give anyone would be to maybe make a phone call for them or give them a lift.
These days however I´m not sure it would even be safe to stop and offer assistance.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 10:30 AM

"Men if you saw a woman trying to change a wheel would you offer your help?"
Yes I would Carol, it’s the old fashioned way and I’m an old fashioned man.
There are a lot of old folks where I live, well older than me, and whenever I'm crossing the busy main road and I see someone nervously waiting to cross I join them and walk across with them, most of them know me anyway. It’s nice to be nice and you never know when you’ll need a hand yourself.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 11:10 AM

That's a nice kindly way of thinking Jem, and you're right - you never know when you will need a hand yourself.
I have always checked my oil and washers and made sure I've never run low on petrol, but can't change wheels, and as Clumsy just said, it would worry me that I had not done it properly.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
A friend of mine had a flat tyre the other week and attempted to change the wheel herself ... she's very capable (not like me) and could probably have done it ... but a knight in shining armour stopped and did it for her which was very nice of him.

Men if you saw a woman trying to change a wheel would you offer your help?
Ladies would you attempt to do it yourself?

If I got a flat I would call my breakdown service out... I'd rather they do it safely, that me do it wrong.
Tony did show me how to do it years ago but I've forgot.
Call out the breakdown service.

AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 03:01 PM

Why does TIRE have a Y in it?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Why does TIRE have a Y in it?
Tyre, as in car tyre has a 'Y' to distinguish it from 'tire' as in to make tired.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Tyre, as in car tyre has a 'Y' to distinguish it from 'tire' as in to make tired.
Oh.... we don't do that... Tire= car wheel.. Tire= make sleepy. Guess we rely on the context of the sentence to figure out which one it is.

The car at the side of the road had a flat tire.

When I run around the block I tire easily.

Plus the fact that one is a noun.. and the other a verb helps.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 09:10 PM

That's the joy of language, Audrey !
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 09:51 PM

I would always call the Breakdown service, that's what I pay them for, many cars now, including mine, don't have a spare, you merely get a puncture kit! Oh what fun
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 09:57 PM

I can never get the wheel nuts off if I have a puncture, they are put on with a machine and very tight.

No one has every stoped to help me change a tyre, I usually call the breakdown service and wait for hours.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top