Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Remember Granny?

I dont suppose many of us think of our Grandmother at our age, but every time I see an Agatha Christie story on TV I think of mine. She was in 'Service' as a young Woman in a big house in Liverpool in the early 1900's as a parlour maid. Sadly she died when I was 12, but I remember some of the sayings she used to use, such as, 'Shy but willing, like a Jackass eating thistles' and for someone who ate too much, 'That fella has a mouth like the poorhouse gate, everything that goes in is welcome', she had one for every occasion, bless her soul.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2010, 11:44 PM

Re: Remember Granny?

I remember our Gran - she was a funny character, and always happy
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 08:54 AM

I don't remember mine! My Dad's mother was dead before I was born and Mum's died the year I was born! Same with granddads as well!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 01:39 PM

I lost two granddads and a grandma before I was born ..... the only memory I have of my other grandma that sticks in my mind was being taken to see her as she lay in bed shortly after having suffered a stroke, she died a few days later. I was 6 at the time
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 04:51 PM

I remember both my Grandmothers-but one died when I was young.

I remember the brooch she was wearing that day I fell off my little rocking horse. Grandma Epsie on my paternal side-she was the one with brains but not even considered for education when she married. The brains escaped the evil one but both my brother and me got them.

Grandma Hall-she was around until my early 20`s but her stroke when not so old left her with very little speech. Grandpa Hall taught me to play cribbage and later on confided what life was like in the trenches. But he was very deaf and she had little speech so they seemed to live their latter years in constant frustration
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 04:59 PM

As to `being in service`-I remember a dear lady I used to walk with when I `rambled` when back home from University.
She was a mine of tales-including the day when they(her and husband) could manage a little cottage but money was hard "I made a pie of blackbirds but said it was pigeon for shame"
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 08:59 PM

I never knew my paternal grandma. I spent Summers at Mom's mom in the country before the War (this was when people sent their kids out of the cities because of polio if they could). I remember helping feed the hens, gathering eggs, picking tomato hornworms off the plants into a jar of kerosene, and especially picking wild elderberries by the railroad tracks to make jam. Oh, innocent days ......
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 09:03 PM

Only remember one of my Grandmas and unfortunately she was not a very nice person. Very domineering and thought the world revolved around her. She was my Mum's Mother and came to live with us at one point. To say it was hell on earth is an understatement. Eventually my Dad, who was a very gentle man, had to ask her to leave and after that she didn't have any contact with us......
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 09:16 PM

I sat with my (maternal) grandma the night she died. I think of her constantly - as I do of my grandad, her husband. My greatest regret is my grandad died alone.

My paternal grandad died some years ago and I find it difficult to recall him at all.

My paternal grandma is still alive and is 97 - it pains me to say I have no feelings for her as she has been nasty to my mother. If anyone hurts my mother, they hurt me.

Grandma and grandad B. - I miss you both and still think of you and love you. You made me the person I am today.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 11:39 PM

On my Mothers side of the Family I never met either of my Grandparents, her Dad was gassed in the first World war, sent home but never recovered and died shortly afterwards. Her Mother died the year before I was born 1944.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top