Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 03:49 PM

The decline of the pub

A pint or two,maybe a fag,play darts or even skittles. Listen to the bar room philosopher spouting rubbish.

Beer is too expensive now,smoking is bad for you and banned, who last saw a proper skittles board and even darts is getting less common. And the bar room idiots are now politicians.

The pub is declining
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Re: The decline of the pub

Or is the pub evolving?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Of course it is and I was just playing the fool.

"you are not from these parts are you"

Gone are the days when a decent dart or game of cribbage could prove one`s right to be there.

And why do rich gits enjoying the latest crayfish tails in a sliced lettuce salad with sun blushed tomatoes still drink John Smith`s??.

Yes I am joking-things have to move on
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Pubs are really on the decline in Dublin, the pint is grossly over priced and with no smoking people are buying cheap beer in the supermarket and drinking at home. Thousands of bar staff have been laid off since the smoking ban was introduced, when they told us we would have lovely airy smoke free bars, now all you can smell in the bars is body odour, stale perfume, and farts. There are a lot of smells much worse than tobacco.
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 07:40 PM

My local is the same as it was 50 + years ago, in fact, I was born in the cottage adjoining it and the pub bought the house when we moved I was 3 and had been born at home as my brothers were. So you could say I was born in the pub lol

I celebrated my 50th at the local, my place of birth, in the same room I was born cool eh??
I have a picture of my dear dad taken 4 weeks after I was born he is sat with 2 friends at the same table, with the same fireplace, (yes they have 2 REAL coal fires and a flag floor) the same windows and the same bench! They have won a CAMRA award for real beer too

I love my local and because there is no juke boxes and pub slot machines etc it keeps most of the louts away too

June x
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Good for you June, I love the old pubs where you get that cosy feeling with the people you know, and thats a nice bit of history being born there.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 08:19 PM

The first pub I was ever in (when I was in my late teens it wasn't the "done" thing for young woman (or older ones) to go into a pub and if they did, it had to be the "Ladies bar"!!) was in Dublin - Mooney's, think it was in O'Connell Street, or just round the corner where the Liffey runs down the other side of it! I got a plate full of chicken sandwiches and a pint of the "Liffey" water - Guinness, I can still taste it!!

Then at night, we would go to one up the street at the side of the Post Office and joined in the sing song!! Also, would go to Meagher's pub.

The pubs were better in Dublin back then that they were here in Scotland!!

Those were the days!!
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
now all you can smell in the bars is body odour, stale perfume, and farts. There are a lot of smells much worse than tobacco.
Don't know what sort of bars you frequent there

LOL
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

17-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by june1958 ->
My local is the same as it was 50 + years ago, in fact, I was born in the cottage adjoining it and the pub bought the house when we moved I was 3 and had been born at home as my brothers were. So you could say I was born in the pub lol

I celebrated my 50th at the local, my place of birth, in the same room I was born cool eh??
I have a picture of my dear dad taken 4 weeks after I was born he is sat with 2 friends at the same table, with the same fireplace, (yes they have 2 REAL coal fires and a flag floor) the same windows and the same bench! They have won a CAMRA award for real beer too

I love my local and because there is no juke boxes and pub slot machines etc it keeps most of the louts away too

June x
Sounds good - a bit like Kings Arms up on the common - except I don't go there now because I would have to drive But it is so nice to go to places like that. Especially when it is cold outside and snug inside
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Pubs are really on the decline in Dublin, the pint is grossly over priced and with no smoking people are buying cheap beer in the supermarket and drinking at home. Thousands of bar staff have been laid off since the smoking ban was introduced, when they told us we would have lovely airy smoke free bars, now all you can smell in the bars is body odour, stale perfume, and farts. There are a lot of smells much worse than tobacco.
I agree. We don't have proper English type pubs here, but nice neighborhood bars where you could go for a few beers or something stronger, smoke, chat with the regulars and the bartender... we've stopped going since the smoking ban and, as you said, buy beer and drink at home. Sad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top