Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Re: Pit bulls and babies

I agree that caution is necessary with pets and children - but - that particular dog was not left alone with the babe, was it? There was at least one person there - may even have been more but out of camera range.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I agree that caution is necessary with pets and children - but - that particular dog was not left alone with the babe, was it? There was at least one person there - may even have been more but out of camera range.
American Pit Bulls are big viscous brutes bred to kill with jaws that lock on like Japanese Nipple Clamps (the more you try to force them open the harder they grip)

Having seen dog fights (Raleigh NC) I sincerely doubt if one person could save a child if that beast took it into its mind to attack the kid.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:47 PM

When I was looking to get a dog there seemed to be lots of Staffies for sale. I used to ignore those adverts as I was a little dubious as to their reputation. Yes I know its unjust as its been caused by yobos getting those type of dogs to make themselves look tough.

I have only met 1 staffie owned by some older parents daughter who had had some mental health problems. they said that the dog had really helped her mentally. it was a lovely dog and it ran around me making a fuss and wanting to be stroked and tickled.

Such a pity about the reputation they have and the awful people who caused it.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:57 PM

We have had dogs, still do...they are pets and become part of the family... all are and have been rescue dogs, all have had issues inherited from previous owners.

The breed of dogs we have adopted were bred as fighting dogs, owned by either Breeders or your regular wannabe macho look at me and my hard dog. (Tosser )

I am glad Judd posted his comments about these dogs, as they mostly have an affectionate nature, and can make remarkable/loyal companions.

But as Todger points out, their ferocity and power if they were to attack a child, the result would be unimaginable.

We had some real softies for years..... But we never ever left our children unattended... it is also a constant reminder we keep giving to others who have adopted this type of dog.

But anyone looking for a great companion, the Dog pounds are full of Staffordshire Bull Terriers looking for homes.

And these Dogs do make great Pets... But, don't take my word for it... Research and check them out with KC and vets
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 02:39 PM

I too cringed at seeing that photo. Wouldn't have mattered what breed of dog, because as most have said, no baby or even toddler should be left alone with any dog no matter what breed. Even our Border Collie possibly could have bitten a small child. As it was she tried to round them up.
I am very glad Pitbulls are banned here now. I did used to see some around the London area years ago.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 02:44 PM

I have met many staffs in my time and not one of them was aggressive towards me but I would not let any dog near a child like that. My sister's dog was a staff/Pit Bull cross who lived to be twelve years old. Not once was he nasty to anyone or any dog.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
When I was looking to get a dog there seemed to be lots of Staffies for sale. I used to ignore those adverts as I was a little dubious as to their reputation. Yes I know its unjust as its been caused by yobos getting those type of dogs to make themselves look tough.

I have only met 1 staffie owned by some older parents daughter who had had some mental health problems. they said that the dog had really helped her mentally. it was a lovely dog and it ran around me making a fuss and wanting to be stroked and tickled.

Such a pity about the reputation they have and the awful people who caused it.
Have you noticed that staffies are getting bigger some are practically pit bulls which are not a breed but a type .
I love them I lived in countries where they are legal and they are lovely loyal dogs .
But their bite is lethal .
All dogs can bit but some dogs have massive jaws and will do serious damage .
I would endorse the fact that no small child should be left alone with ANY dog.
They are little their faces are on par with the dogs .
It’s a recipe for disaster .
Even my Border Collie who adores children would never bite but would possibly knock down a little child in his boisterousness.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 12:11 AM

Our dog, Tex is an Australian Cattle/ Staffy cross. He regularly visits my wife's workplace and the vets all make a fuss of him because he is such a lovely fun dog. But they too have commented that they can see the typical Staffy nature there coming through. The cattle side tempers it. He loves to play but he plays rough, bites and nips lightly a lot in "play" mode but goes overboard towards aggression if his behaviour is not controlled firmly and consistently. He was owned by a person with mental health issues for the first 4 months of his life before he was taken into care. The issue then was that he was just never shown any behavioural boundaries. He was, however loved, fed well and was never physically abused. All in all he is a fantastic dog who lights up our lives. He isn't a particularly large dog but he is very strong. In the wrong hands he certainly has the potential to go bad I think.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 10:31 PM

Pit bulls are not allowed in the UK...no breeding is allowed either .
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

11-05-2020, 11:42 PM

The breed of dog is no more relevant to violence than the color of a person's skin. Some of the most vicious dogs I've ever met are those ankle-biters. I've had dogs my entire life, most of them being well over 70 pounders and I've never worried a minute. I've had a 110 pound Bull Mastiff go through a 6' tall wooden privacy fence to protect his beagle friend when it was being bullied by 2 other dogs. This same dog would curl around a young boy sleeping on the floor and gawd forbid anyone approach that child while it was sleeping. While growing up, we had a female German Sheppard who was too big to show. One winter, she grabbed a hold of my younger brother's scarf and thought it was tug-of-war time. She literally had him completely off the ground whipping him around in circles (he has scars on his neck because of the encounter). There was no malice in that action.

Big Dogs, or specific breeds, are not more vicious or dangerous than any other. It's how you raise the animal which determines it's temperament...the same with a person.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top