Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 01:53 PM

Re: Coronavirus Sniffer Dogs

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
Thanks for providing the links, very interesting read.

I know Dogs are used to sniff out drugs, explosives and I have heard about the Cancers too.

But on first hearing about training these Dogs to sniff out the Coronavirus..... I thought it were feasible, thats all.

But having read the links, and more.... I can't believe the use of these dogs with their incredible ability is not a PRIORITY.

They could sniff test 750 people an hour, will next to no inconvenience.

A blood test carried out would surely take 2 to 5 minutes,
around 20 people an hour...plus the inconvenience.

The potential use of these Dogs is incredible, I'm thinking hospital entrance, shopping arcades, schools and so much more.
If the dogs sniff up the globules which make up the virus, surely that might kill the dog?

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If the dogs sniff up the globules which make up the virus, surely that might kill the dog?

So far, they are saying this Virus doesn't have any affect on dogs. I do hope they are right, Ted.

A few have been found to have it on their coats, but that is more likely to be where a human has stroked the animal.

They were asking us a while back not to fuss other people's dogs, or allow anyone to fuss our own until this is over.
AliceWonderland
United Kingdom
AliceWonderland is female  AliceWonderland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I thought they had been training cancer detecting dogs quite a while now, Alice?

I think all these detection dogs are absolutely brilliant animals.
I was even reading a while back about dogs being taken out on lakes in small rowing boats to detect bodies deep under water. How on earth can they smell that? They don't dive in, they can smell from the boat!

These animals deserve our utmost respect, and so do the trainers who work with them.

There is a magazine about all their work:

https://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk/sniff-magazine/
Thank you for the magazine link, Mups I'll have a read today.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top