Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 10:13 AM

Re: Modern Teaching Methods.

I have always loved words - so English Language/Literature were never a problem for me. Was reasonably good at basic and mental arithmetic at Primary School level - Mathematics, Algebra, Geometry and Logarithms at Grammar School came as culture shock. I really struggled for the first two terms - then the Maths teacher told me I was useless - well, I couldn't have that.

Like Primus - I began to break things down logically - found my own ways of coming up with the right answers. Teacher didn't like it - but she couldn't fault it either. Was never top of the class but managed to stay above middle!

When out shopping I still add things up in my head as I go and have the right money ready at the till.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was always artistic and never good at maths. I don't think the two mix very well. The only thing I do remember is my times table which we were taught at primary school. We recited it every morning for five years.
The times table has been more use to me than anything else.
Our teacher would write 1 to 12 in a circle on the blackboard. Then we would start with one, up to 12 or sometimes 13.
The whole class would chant the multiplication in unison as she pointed to each number with a cane on the ‘clock’.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Even my own children’s Maths homework 30 years ago was totally different to how mine was. When I tried to explain to them how to work something out, all I got was “Mum, we don’t do it like that at school now”
Yep, have heard this loads of times. Providing the method is mathematically correct, then it is fine for you to teach it if it means they can succeed.

For example, I know 6 ways of performing long multiplications (there are others). I teach the one that seems to be understood best, but will never force any pupil to do it "my" way if their own, previously perfected one, is correct.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
the Maths teacher told me I was useless.
That was helpful!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 10:37 AM

I have a fear of maths having been made to sit on the floor in front of the class/do press ups/be beaten with a cane by a maths teacher who hated me from day 1 because he had taught and disliked my sister before me . The result was I 'close down' when faced with numbers.

Before that at primary school I was taught my times tables something which has proved invaluable throughout my life.

I understand the teaching of tables was abandoned for many years and I am glad to see it back at the school my grandchildren attend .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Yep, have heard this loads of times. Providing the method is mathematically correct, then it is fine for you to teach it if it means they can succeed.

For example, I know 6 ways of performing long multiplications (there are others). I teach the one that seems to be understood best, but will never force any pupil to do it "my" way if their own, previously perfected one, is correct.
Ha, I know 6 ways of NOT performing long multiplications..
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 10:49 AM

I mean ,logarithms, how is that used in modern life.?
and algebra, for years I thought it was a country in north africa

I suppose it’s my own fault, I got out of maths ( and many other lessons) as me and my mate ( who was equally as good at maths as me, who went on to be a carpet fitter and then to run his own guest house in Scarborough) were selected to video certain school programmes on tv in the mornings, you had to physically be there to start and end recordings, so we got out of a good few lessons, I may add that it was towards the end of our time at school and I think the teachers thought we were a lost cause, we had some fun doing that though,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 10:52 AM

I still use logarithms occasionally, Primus, and algebra (when I remember it) can be useful.
Primus1
York

10-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I still use logarithms occasionally, Primus, and algebra (when I remember it) can be useful.
Well my dad didn’t use logarithms, nine months later...I was born

Seriously though tabs, in what context do you need to use logarithms??
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

10-05-2020, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->

Seriously though tabs, in what context do you need to use logarithms??

Promise not to tell anyone?

I compile Astrological charts - and need logarithms for converting degrees to sidereal time etc.,

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top