Join for free
Page 34 of 40 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 36 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Re: Flexible extension???

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
As I’ve said before, the EU isn’t perfect but it’s Commission is more transparent and accountable to its Parliament than our Civil Service is to our Parliament

If you want to discuss unelected people in power then you should look to our own government with members of the House of Lords being appointed as Ministers and even as Cabinet members. And, although not customary, anyone can theoretically be appointed as a Minister

The “undemocratic EU” sound byte has been debunked many times over the last few years but there are many who are still taken in by it

So you agree with me finally then ... ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 04:28 PM

Hi

I think many of you overestimate the power of the Civil Service.

We have a top down system here in the UK.

The Politicians make the policy decisions and the Civil Service have to implement them.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The Politicians make the policy decisions and the Civil Service have to implement them.
Senior civil servants as fourth power more important than ever

Published on July 12, 2018

The importance of the counter power of (senior) officials seems to have increased, now that society has become more complex. There are more interests at stake, expectations are high, public opinion is shifting and media want to score. This complexity is reflected in politics and the civil service. Politicians are influenced by the issues of the day, while officials must pay attention to continuity. This makes the fourth power of top officials more important than ever. That is one of the conclusions of the book Haagsche Bazen: top official leadership in Berenschot's perspective.

Senior civil servants offer this counterpower thanks to their substantive expertise, establishing links with the sectors they represent and applying and maintaining continuity in policy. Directors, top managers (to be), but also top officials themselves attach great importance to these three elements, according to the interviews.

You don't think british civil servants stay more in the background?
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
So you agree with me finally then ... ?
Yes if your position is that the notion the EU is undemocratic has been debunked as that is what I said
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Hi

Whilst the civil service doesn’t formulate policy it does offer its professional advise on those policies to the government and this advice is not always transparent
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Yes if your position is that the notion the EU is undemocratic has been debunked as that is what I said

No that's not what I said ... your putting words into my mouth now.

Who did you vote for in the commission?

Check out what happened with Marta Andreasen who was the commission's chief accountant.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 12:53 PM

Hi

I'm of the opinion that it's more like the `Yes Minister` TV series. The CS make all the decisions and the politicians are there to carry the can (or take the credit) if a particular decision is the wrong one. After all, government continues during parliamentary breaks/holidays and during election campaigns.

Isn't Civil Servant Olly Robbins directing Theresa May during the Brexit negotiations and is ultimately responsible for the terms of her disastrous `Chequers Deal`?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm of the opinion that it's more like the `Yes Minister` TV series. The CS make all the decisions and the politicians are there to carry the can (or take the credit) if a particular decision is the wrong one. After all, government continues during parliamentary breaks/holidays and during election campaigns.

Isn't Civil Servant Olly Robbins directing Theresa May during the Brexit negotiations and is ultimately responsible for the terms of her disastrous `Chequers Deal`?
I've been in (dutch) civil service for more than 20 years. The tv-series yes minister depicts a situation where the minister is an unexperienced politician. Normally a minister and his civil servant(s) Are both professionals and on comparable levels, with the minister in the limelights. But a minister moves on, whereas the civil servants keep on helping to rule.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Yes, 'Yes Minister' was my favourite programme at the time and I can well believe that there was a great deal of truth and accuracy in that show, despite it being a comedy.

Certainly, Humphrey Appleby used to run rings around James Hacker and by very clever use of words he effectively made Hacker to exactly what he wanted him to do.

I'm absolutely sure that the same sort of thing really does go on in Westminster.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 04:13 PM

How many Remainers does it take to change a light bulb?

None; they don't want to change anything

Page 34 of 40 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 36 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top