Join for free
Page 10 of 55 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Re: What books are you reading now?

The Pohl was an enjoyable sci-fi read, Presently on David Gibbens The Lost Tomb. A bit formulaic too, but mildly interesting.
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I've just finished one of Dick Francis's old books, "Driving Force". Dick must be in his nineties by now, but I see he is now co-writing with his son Felix; I have bought his latest effort "Dead Heat", which I will probably keep for the holiday weekend....
Loved his books - but had some questions about his attitude against disabled people. But maybe this only reflects the mainstream attitude in England?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by anna ->
Loved his books - but had some questions about his attitude against disabled people. But maybe this only reflects the mainstream attitude in England?
I must say that I hadn't noticed this anna so I'm mot sure what you mean. The only disability I remember being mentioned is that of his hero, Sid Halley, who had an artificial arm...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 03:55 PM

For some reason I never could get into Dick Francis; read a few and didn't care for them.
scrabblemad
leicester uk
scrabblemad is female  scrabblemad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 07:52 PM

Just finished 'Fall of the Giants' by Ken Follett, not usually my kind of reading but my brother left it for me.It took a lot of getting through as it a very large tome, but, I enjoyed it nonetheless. Also went on to read his book 'World without End.

I love thrillers and eager to read authors unknown to me,have found some great ones; Michael Robotham
Stephen Leather
Jeffrey Deaver
Sarah Waters

Read the latest book from Karen Slaughter- Fallen
Tess Gerritsen - The Silent Girl
David Baldacci - One Summer

I am an avid reader- roughly 3 books per week, from my beloved Library.

To those of you who have lapsed, don't give up on your reading, I did for 15 years too busy with my job and home, I am now retired and fell into reading quite by accident and have not looked back since!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
For some reason I never could get into Dick Francis; read a few and didn't care for them.
When he started writing many years ago I tried to read his books, but for some reason I just couldn't get engrossed in any of them, I'm glad I'm not the only one because his works are very popular over here.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

17-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Here also, Jem; glad I have company! He's just not my cuppa.....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

17-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by scrabblemad ->
Just finished 'Fall of the Giants' by Ken Follett, not usually my kind of reading but my brother left it for me.It took a lot of getting through as it a very large tome, but, I enjoyed it nonetheless. Also went on to read his book 'World without End.

I love thrillers and eager to read authors unknown to me,have found some great ones; Michael Robotham
Stephen Leather
Jeffrey Deaver
Sarah Waters

Read the latest book from Karen Slaughter- Fallen
Tess Gerritsen - The Silent Girl
David Baldacci - One Summer

I am an avid reader- roughly 3 books per week, from my beloved Library.

To those of you who have lapsed, don't give up on your reading, I did for 15 years too busy with my job and home, I am now retired and fell into reading quite by accident and have not looked back since!
Robotham, Leather and Waters are new to me, will look them up. All the others you mentioned are authors I've read and like. Do you like Ruth Rendell?
scrabblemad
leicester uk
scrabblemad is female  scrabblemad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2011, 10:18 PM

Eileen.
No, I just can't get into her mind set, I don't even like the TV series which is unusual for me as I like nearly all the detective series on TV.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

17-08-2011, 10:22 PM

I never watch any TV adaptation of a book I like; they never get it right and it ruins the book IMO. Have you read any of the Brother Cadfael books?

Page 10 of 55 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top