Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
scrabblemad
leicester uk
scrabblemad is female  scrabblemad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2010, 07:08 AM

Re: Book recommendations

This author was recommended to me by a friend.
M.C.Beaton, she writes the Agatha Raisin series which I believe have been read on the Radio 4 by Penelope Keith.
I Got the 1st in the series- Quiche of Death as an into to the character.
She is a qwerky female just retired, settles in a Cotswold village, which she thinks is now a mistake.
It is well written and funny. A cross between Agatha Christy and Midsummer Murders. I am thoroughly enjoying it and intend to read the whole series.
Makes a nice change from all the deep dark thrillers I usually read.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2010, 12:06 PM

I have read all of Agatha Raisin books they are good and I was sorry when I had read the whole series. I could imagine a 'Miss Marple'type television series.

I will also be looking for Wilbur Smith he sounds good. It is a good point to start at the begining of a authors books as the characters do grow and their background becomes important.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2010, 08:35 PM

I got the Wilbur Smith The Quest at the library today, only one that was on the shelves. Will report.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2010, 10:21 PM

I have read Wilbur Smith and have enjoyed.

Finished Crisis by Robin Cook it was very very good. although it is about a malpractice court case it really puts over the authors feelings about concierge medicine which is growing in America and is particularly highlighted in the death's of welknown entertainers such as Michael Jackson.

I am now in the limbo state of having just finished one book and about to start another. This time it's going to be Lyn Andrews whose heroins are usually hardworking and gutsy lasses from Liverpoor and Ireland.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I got the Wilbur Smith The Quest at the library today, only one that was on the shelves. Will report.
Glad you found one - there are a few about Egypt and Taita. The Egyptian ones are a bit of a departure from his earlier works and are more into the realms of fantasy. I tend to prefer his earlier works on S.Africa, but Taita is an interesting character - hope you enjoy it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 08:50 PM

There are others in the system; this was the only one available at my branch. If I enjoy it (I like that period of Egyptian history), will put a hold on some of the others, especially the South African ones.
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2010, 12:38 AM

For those who love crime novels I recommend Mari Jungstedt. Her plots are set in Gotland - a Swedish island in the Baltic sea. 'Unspoken', 'Unseen' and 'The inner circle' are books by her translated into english.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

05-06-2010, 02:24 AM

I'll check the library for Jungstedt, Anna; I do like a good crime novel. I'm enjoying the Smith "Quest", not what I thought it would be (somehow I had thought it was in the Ankenaten era). but a thoroughly good read do far.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Has anyone read Mike Pannetts books, Tales of a Yorkshire bobby etc? A bit of country life and the villains, sometimes funny , a nice relaxing read.
uk sandra
Gateshead UK
uk sandra is female 

21-01-2011, 11:58 PM

J D Robb`s In Death series. I think I`ve read about 30 of then now and enjoyed them all. The characters are like old friends. You can`t beat a steamy serial killer book.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top