Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Coming to terms.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there over 60 like myself who are new to computers and find it all a bit strange to say the least. Well this old dog is prepared to learn some new tricks as long as the bone is big enough. some of the names and terms used make me smile as I think of what they would have meant in my hayday, for example:
Google: Something you do when looking at a baby in a pram.
Twitter: A conversation with your canary.
Utube: A bent thing you find under the kitchen sink.
Click: Secure a date with a good looking girl.
Browse: The things over your eyes.
However I am slowly coming to terms ( I couldn't resist that )with it and I will plod on, after all you are either Forum or against 'em. UHHHH!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Re: Coming to terms.

Hi Jimmy, welcome to these wonderful forums.

As for computers, there is only one term to learn and digest urgently, the term DELETE. Unless you are exactly sure what you are doing do not use the DELETE button.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Aw hello Jimmy! Computers are brilliant! Used one now since they first came out - at least the desk top ones They are the greatest things since sliced bread

You will get the hang of it

Welcome to the forum Say hello to Dublin for me please - love the place

Take care.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Google: Something you do when looking at a baby in a pram.
Twitter: A conversation with your canary.
Utube: A bent thing you find under the kitchen sink.
Click: Secure a date with a good looking girl.
Browse: The things over your eyes.
lol good one Jimmy

What about things like iPad - sounds like a sanitary towel
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Hi Jimmy,

I've never claimed to be an expert (IT technology moves too fast for me) but I have been using these flaming 'puter thingies since Acorn launched the BBC onto the market which I'm horrified to discover is quite a long time ago.

The most important thing I can pass on is 'Don't ever assume that these IT / computer / web designer characters are clever' none of them know the whole picture and when you ring them or talk face to face they all just know a 'little bit' about the whole scene and if that 'little bit' is not the bit you want to know they are worse than useless.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 06:57 PM

It's like anything else - persevere and you get there. People drive cars without knowing how the engine works. But good on you for injecting a bit of humour into it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Love your sense of humor! Hang in there, you'll get it ... this old bird has gotten fairly good!!Welcome, BTW!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2010, 11:47 AM

And welcome from me. I`m OK with computers---until they go wrong

My first encounter with them was in the `70s when you needed to flick a load of switches to boot up this thing the size of a large book case .

And the discs were the size of pizza boxes to do stats a throw away calculator can do now.

One thing I have found out over the years is not to hit the `send` button without thinking twice,especially after a few glasses of wine
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Hi Jimmy Having once thought I would never get to grips with a PC I can't imagine how I ever managed without one, they are just amazing .

Today for instance I managed to find a birthday present for someone, a silk tie in just the right colour and had it sent to their house, I found and booked a holiday cottage and was able to view it with the help of Google maps and Goggle earth and I ordered some netting to keep the butterflies of my broccoli all without leaving my chair.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Jimmy Having once thought I would never get to grips with a PC I can't imagine how I ever managed without one, they are just amazing .

Today for instance I managed to find a birthday present for someone, a silk tie in just the right colour and had it sent to their house, I found and booked a holiday cottage and was able to view it with the help of Google maps and Goggle earth and I ordered some netting to keep the butterflies of my broccoli all without leaving my chair.
That is the wonder of the net. I have even taught my dad how to do the supermarket shop online, so when he and my mother can't get out, at least they can have their food delivered. He just needs a bit of 'technical' help sometimes and he even knows how to let me log on remotely so I fix any minor problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top