Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 12:27 PM

What would you do?

As some may know my wife has been poorly for some months.

She is just about well enough to start work again very soon and today she got a phone call.

She has been approached to do a job with only one other prospective candidate-who she got the impression would be a second choice?

The pay is negociable but nothing less than a bloody fortune,to us anyway.

Trouble is that it`s a six month contract requiring her to live in Geneva.

It would be her chance to cash in on over 30 years of experience and give her something that would set her up when back to earn a few bob in the last years before she retires

It`s not an easy one
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by Old git ->
As some may know my wife has been poorly for some months.

She is just about well enough to start work again very soon and today she got a phone call.

She has been approached to do a job with only one other prospective candidate-who she got the impression would be a second choice?

The pay is negociable but nothing less than a bloody fortune,to us anyway.

Trouble is that it`s a six month contract requiring her to live in Geneva.

It would be her chance to cash in on over 30 years of experience and give her something that would set her up when back to earn a few bob in the last years before she retires

It`s not an easy one
It is not what we would do OG as we are not involved with it.
What you have to do is discuss it as a family matter being open and truthful.
Weight up the pros and cons and then decide what suits your family best.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 01:01 PM

I know it`s our decision-but for the sake of a thread consider it a question on the `Moral Maze`
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 01:16 PM

I know it`s our decision-but for the sake of a thread consider it a question on the `Moral Maze`
OG, indivduals find different things to raise their moral. Money, Job satisfaction, even the offer of a job can have wonderous effects without actually taking up the offer.
Personally I would say thank you but no thanks. It is easy to do when finances are not a problem.
If finance is at the top of your agenda then you must both approach it from that angle. What benifits will be gained and what damage could be done, if any, by a six month separation.
What do you personally feel?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

27-05-2010, 03:21 PM

take the money,open the box?
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

27-05-2010, 03:35 PM

take the money,open the box?
What does your wife want to do?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Would that mean you splitting up for 6 months or could you go with her? If splitting up, I can only say how I'd feel about that but not what you, as a couple, should do.

Unless my better half was absolutely sold on the idea, I'd ask her not to take the position. The thought of being apart for 6 months wouldn't appeal to me at all.

However, we have both been in life-threatening positions, have on-going problems to a degree and realise how valuable time together is. Money, although important, comes secondary to that. I think my wife would feel the same way.

Also taken into account is the fact that, although not rich, we have enough to live fairly comfortably on at present.

This is not to say everyone should feel that way but when asked for an opinion, it's almost impossible to say what you should do. I don't greatly know your personalities and circumstances. Maybe a close friend could say because they know more about you than me.

The dilemma would be a bit academic with us anyway but take away the wheelchair and I think the opinion about splitting up would still be the same.

Disregarding the disability, if I had the imaginary option of going with her, I'd think it would be a wonderful way to spend six months.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Does she like an adventure? Travelling? Would you guys be ok not seeing each other for a while (sometimes a break is actually good).

If so I would say go for it! You only live once and gotta take life up on these little adventures
scrabblemad
leicester uk
scrabblemad is female  scrabblemad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 08:09 PM

As you have already made your mind up, it's down to your wife, it's her job, her future, her promotion.It's a gamble it's has risks, if she can live without you for 6 months ( as you obviously can live without her) then she should take it, opportunities like this don't happen every day.
The cons are ; What would happen if she were taken ill again?
How would you feel about her making a whole bunch of
new friends, a different lifestyle, a new outlook.
Could your marriage stand that?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 08:50 PM

As others have said, only you two can decide. But... 6 months isn't that long and with cell phones and digital cameras it's easy to keep in daily touch. It would be interesting to live and work in Geneva; how are plane fares there: long weekends together? Is her health up to it after her illness? You can see which way I'm leaning, and a little extra money is a big help....

Let us know what you and Jenny decide, OG

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top