Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 07:23 PM

Plusnet broadband and phone

My 12 month contract is coming to an end, but all the options offered to me at the beginning of the contract have changed out of all recognition!
They seem to be offering unlimited 17 Mb broadband from £13.5 per mth + £35!!! So long as you have line rental with a different supplier.

Has anyone done this? Is it advantageous to have your line rented from one supplier and your broadband with another?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 10:33 PM

Re: Plusnet broadband and phone

I have had my internet and land line rental with two separate companies which turns out, was quite an expensive way to do it.

Talk Talk and BT.

At the moment I am in the process off changing both into one package at £22.50 per month including line rental, free weekend calls and 1571 facility, with John Lewis. John Lewis provider is Plusnet. After 12 months it will increase to about £24.50 including line rental etc.

PlusNet were cheaper to include line rental, but on an 18 month contract, after which it increased to more than John Lewis.
Also, landline phone charges per min. are cheaper through John Lewis.

It's all a load on boloney to be truthful, (as PlusNet are owned by BT ) and a minefield to get some clarity. My bone of contention was with the landline rental and extras with BT coming in at over £80 per quarter, for minimum usage. Paying over £19 per month for broadband only with Talk Talk, which are rubbish due to constantly dropping out and losing connectivity.

Good luck.
I applied online to John Lewis, phoned them up to ask them a couple of questions, and they are doing the rest.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 07:51 AM

Thanks Puddleduck. It seems John Lewis (using Plusnet) is doing the same as Plusnet but charging £2.50 more per month on a 12 mth contract. There'll probably be a difference in the phone charges and comparing with 18 mth contracts too, which I think are worth looking at.
If I went over to John Lewis, do you think they have a different router?
My old BT router seemed to provide greater coverage around my home than my plusnet router. Are there specific questions to ask about the capacity of routers?
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Vodafone pay the phone line rental. Tech support at Plusnet is supposed to be dire......

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals
Lindyloo
isle of wight

13-04-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Vodafone pay the phone line rental. Tech support at Plusnet is supposed to be dire......

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals
Thanks for that - I've just looked at the Vodafone website but it isn't available at my address!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks Puddleduck. It seems John Lewis (using Plusnet) is doing the same as Plusnet but charging £2.50 more per month on a 12 mth contract. There'll probably be a difference in the phone charges and comparing with 18 mth contracts too, which I think are worth looking at.
If I went over to John Lewis, do you think they have a different router?
My old BT router seemed to provide greater coverage around my home than my plusnet router. Are there specific questions to ask about the capacity of routers?
They will send a new router for you, free. I did make a mistake on John Lewis charges after 12 months, it will be £26.50 per month. Still a lot cheaper than 2 different suppliers, one being BT.
Have a look, and anything you're not sure about, given them a call. Unlike many, they do answer their phones, which is always a bonus.
I'm not sure that they are the best, but after going backwards and forwards looking for something reasonable and for so long, I settled on JL. We shall see ! I just hope someone else can give you guidance too, it's not always best to listen to only one.

https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/buying-guide/
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 11:31 PM

I don't understand what you are talking about here? What does this mean - '£13.5 per mth + £35!'? I'm with Plusnet for both phone and broadband with unlimited downloads Fibre broadband for £32.50 a month. View this page to see what is available ...

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

Line rental is a bone of contention wherever you go. It is a rip off full stop. The only way to bypass this is to go with some supplier that doesn't rely on BT in anyway such as Virgin (cable if available). There are still costs involved though. They ain't dull these suppliers and only undercut others by a small amount. It stinks to be honest with you and BT is behind the whole debacle.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top