Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 02:19 PM

Shoot Alors!!

This article in the Mail on Sunday really made me spit feathers!

SHOOT ALORS!

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson was “livid” after France begged for help defeating jihadis – then billed us for £2million.

French officials tried to charge the MoD the cash to fly equipment and kit on their transport aircraft.
Insiders said the move made Williamson so angry he threatened to ground the three RAF Chinook choppers we sent to help them in Mali.

It is the second time the French have welched on a deal to save cash. They also “renegned” on a move to support a Nato mission in Estonia.

The choppers and almost 100 British troops arrived in Mali last month to help the French battle a host of jihadi groups in the Sahel region.
But when the UK requested to fly spares to the mission on French air transport, they said we’d have to pay, sources said.

A senior Whitehall insider said: “We could not believe it. They begged us for help, we give it, and then they want to charge us for keeping the mission running.
“The French can’t fight their own wars – now they won’t even help out those who help them. It sent Williamson livid – he threatened to ground the whole fleet”.
Rather than pay their French allies, the UK instead opted to use an EU pooled transport system, which charges by the crate.#

As part of the deal to bolster its mission in Africa, codenamed Operation Barkhane, French officials had previously been asked, and agreed, to deploy troops to Estonia for 12 months to ward off Russian aggression.
But after agreeing to the Nato deployment in the Baltic, they then said their forces would deploy for only nine months, sources said.

Last night the MoD was desperate to underline the UK and France remain strong allies – despite internally seething over their antics.
An MoD spokesman said: “We will continue to strengthen our deep defence relationship with France.”

UNQUOTE

God, the above last sentence really wants me to stick my fingers down my throat and throw up! Words fail me with the French, but it shouldn't surprise anyone should it? they operate par for the course, need I say more? Greedy, Selfish and Despicable come to mind. What say you?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 02:32 PM

Re: Shoot Alors!!

we helped them in the second world war and we are still helping them - when will they grow up?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Cheese eating surrender monkeys.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 05:35 PM

Nowt wrong with cheese! Frogs legs yes!
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 10:59 AM

Given that this story is only reported in the xenophobic, rabble rousing Right wing tabloids, I wonder how accurate it is.
It does occur to me that every military cost has to allocated somewhere in the modern world and, as it was British items that were being transported, isn't it up to us to pay for that service? Ad hoc, tit-for-tat accounting is really a thing of the past.
It also occurs to me that Gavin Williamson is a minister promoted well past his level of competence, who has made an ass of himself several times already and is anxious to appeal to core Tory supporters plus, of course, the Right wing tabloids.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
Given that this story is only reported in the xenophobic, rabble rousing Right wing tabloids, I wonder how accurate it is.
It does occur to me that every military cost has to allocated somewhere in the modern world and, as it was British items that were being transported, isn't it up to us to pay for that service? Ad hoc, tit-for-tat accounting is really a thing of the past.
It also occurs to me that Gavin Williamson is a minister promoted well past his level of competence, who has made an ass of himself several times already and is anxious to appeal to core Tory supporters plus, of course, the Right wing tabloids.

hmm : hmmm ; hmm so you are saying 'wot' exactly?? - if feels like crossed swords??
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 12:12 PM

I suppose I should have put, after the first sentence,

However, if it is true....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

20-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I suppose I should have put, after the first sentence,

However, if it is true....
school report : English grammar needs improving - think your thoughts through a few times for clarity and then write - headmaster!!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
we helped them in the second world war and we are still helping them - when will they grow up?
..And christ knows why we bothered.
They've tried to screw us over at every opportunity ever since. Bunch of scumbags imo.
Andwar
Bristol, UK.
Andwar is male  Andwar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 09:21 PM

I don't believe anything I read in The Daily Mail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top