Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 11:12 PM

How do you wash your veg?

Do you just rinse? Or try to wash as much as you can? Peel carrots etc?

I've noticed more chalky substances on things like cabbage - and I assume it's pesticides... how on earth are we meant to get them off :?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 11:58 PM

Re: How do you wash your veg?

I read too quickly and thought the question was "how do you wash your leg?"

I use a dab of plain dish soap for peppers, tomatoes apples and such. Sometimes I just rinse - berries, celery, lettuce, spinach. I haven't noticed the chalky stuff you mention, but I toss the outer leaves of cabbage anyway.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 12:03 AM

I have a little nail brush I keep for scrubbing hard vegetables and fruit, soft ones I wash in a basin of water then rinse.

I buy organic when possible and pick greens with insects on, they are a good indication of safe to eat veg and they can be washed off in salt water
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I buy organic when possible and pick greens with insects on, they are a good indication of safe to eat veg and they can be washed off in salt water
What a good idea!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 09:41 AM

I may be a lone voice here but I think that most people are over-fussy about cleanliness. When I prepare the veg they get a quick rinse under warm water and the likes of potatoes and carrots get peeled.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 10:27 AM

A wash in cold water.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 10:27 AM

I rinse under running water, with a bit of a scrub and peel for the ones that need it. Outer leaves always come off of green veg. With stuff that is being cooked I rely on the heat to kill of any nasties and I always examine fruit and veg for freshness etc. before I buy. I try not to worry about pesticides. I do think about them, but it's difficult to be sure nothing has been used and I don't buy organic very often. Meg's idea about the insects is a good one.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 10:56 AM

I don't grow vegetables these days but years ago any greens picked from the garden were thoroughly washed in lightly salted water to remove any insects - they were then rinsed again in fresh water. Outer leaves were always discarded.

New potatoes and carrots are always scrubbed with a vegetable brush, parsnips are peeled.

Peppers and tomatoes are thoroughly rinsed in a bowl of cold water.

Apples and pears are 'scrubbed' with a soft brush (although my hubby still insists on peeling his!); soft fruit is put in a colander and rinsed with cold running water.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I may be a lone voice here but I think that most people are over-fussy about cleanliness. When I prepare the veg they get a quick rinse under warm water and the likes of potatoes and carrots get peeled.
Same here.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

I generally don't care about dirt/mud if I buy organic, so a quick rinse usually is enough for me (although I do scrub carrots instead of peeling)

However I can't always get organic and although I only buy 'quality' fruit and veg from shops like Waitrose and M&S I do feel they need washing, because even they use pesticides.

The main reason I was asking was because I think when the govt set pesticide-levels guidelines etc, they actually 'wash' the produce in a chemical solution to mimic us washing it - they don't actually wash it like we would. Which I think is odd - surely they need to do what people would do? I think it's fair to say most just rinse soft veg, and some brush harder veg (like pots and carrots).

So I do try to wash individual cabbage leaves in between my hands to try and get of as much of the 'chalky' substance as I can (which I assume are pesticide residues). As crops are sprayed many times a year I do it to all leaves not just the outer ones.

Next time you go shopping have a look a close look at green cabbage - see if you can spot that chalky white substance on it

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top