Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:15 PM

Re: Does The ‘Council House Mentality’ Still Exist?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Maybe, it’s because its because all the works were put out for tender and the councils usually took the lowest bid.
You only get what you pay for because all the good companies couldn’t match the lower bids.
Possibly. The materials they used were good quality, and they weren't rushing (far from it TBH). But they just didn't care about getting a good finish and just went for the simplest way of doing things instead of doing things right.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:19 PM

I think that today there is definitely a mentality about council housing that means the council is responsible for everything .
The sense of entitlement is huge some people think that they are entitled to get everything done for them for nothing .
My brother worked for a housing association and he was frequently called out to repair doors ( that had been kicked in ) by residents .
IMO council residents should treat the rented home just the same as a normal good tenant does .with care and respect .
I always feel sorry for people who have bought their CH and then the council move some scum bag family in next door .
There is always one sticking out like a sore thumb the blot of the neighbourhood .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think that today there is definitely a mentality about council housing that means the council is responsible for everything .
The sense of entitlement is huge some people think that they are entitled to get everything done for them for nothing .
My brother worked for a housing association and he was frequently called out to repair doors ( that had been kicked in ) by residents .
IMO council residents should treat the rented home just the same as a normal good tenant does .with care and respect .
I always feel sorry for people who have bought their CH and then the council move some scum bag family in next door .
There is always one sticking out like a sore thumb the blot of the neighbourhood .
Muddy, My eldest daughter is a property surveyor for a housing association.
She gets so much abuse when she tells a tenant they can’t have something done as it isn’t essential.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:28 PM

Well I'm firmly of the opinion that there should BE no council housing. Housing should be provided from the private sector in all cases.

People who can't afford rents in the private sector where they live because of very sensible limits on what they get given to them from the public purse should MOVE to where they can afford and if they can't find anywhere then communal accommadation with costs offset by work that people can do to offset the costs.

It should absolutely not be the case where local councils are in any way landlords.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Well I'm firmly of the opinion that there should BE no council housing. Housing should be provided from the private sector in all cases.

People who can't afford rents in the private sector where they live because of very sensible limits on what they get given to them from the public purse should MOVE to where they can afford and if they can't find anywhere then communal accommadation with costs offset by work that people can do to offset the costs.

It should absolutely not be the case where local councils are in any way landlords.
You mean, private landlords like the notorious, Peter Rachman?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:35 PM

Muddy, My eldest daughter is a property surveyor for a housing association.
She gets so much abuse when she tells a tenant they can’t have something done as it isn’t essential.
Have been involved in renting things out for a fair old while (bedsits, studio flats in my parents' house, and a couple of self contained flats in manchester). The only problem we ever had was with anyone on unemployment benefits.

Friend of mine invested in a property management company, and he had similar experiences.

We'll never rent out to anyone on benefits again. Too risky.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:45 PM

You mean, private landlords like the notorious, Peter Rachman?
He served a market.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:51 PM

Susan, l did a B-Tech in Housing Studies where the history of council housing was part of it.
The houses were built originally for soldiers coming home when the second world war ended... They were described as ‘Homes Fit For Heroes’.
There was a shortage of building materials and that’s why many were built using re-inforced concrete panels.
Quite right too Art they and their families deserved all the help they could get as do low income families on minimum wage . Im all for supporting these hardworking people .

A lot of council housing tenants were given lifetime tenancies and some still are , now the problem here is when the kids have gone and mum or dad or both are left alone they are in a 3 bed house which could be handed to a young growing family . Hence we have young kids living in high rise flats with no garden and old folk in 3 beds with gardens . Some folk accept a nice bungalow with assistance to move house at no cost some accept but I also know of old folk refusing to leave their large 3 bed house with huge garden saying its mine for life .

I own my little house but if I have to move to a bungalow I would.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:08 PM

There's a law passed now (at least in Scotland), whereby Landlords have to allow pets. Used to be a barring option, but now since so many animals are "companion" animals, and folk on benefits get extra for owning them *rolls eyes*, they are considered essential.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:09 PM

Most council houses in my district, are privately owned....they got good deals, back in the day,,,on council property. as in discount ,when bought ,depending how long you had been a tenant.

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top