Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:29 AM

Re: Wine.

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Funny thread. Are we talking wine . . . or wine?

I'm no wine aficionado or snob but come on . . . wine and Blossom Hill don't really belong in the same sentence! It's just plonk of the kind used in pubs. About the same as calling Blue Nun and Black Tower wine

@LindenTree

If you're getting headaches from red wine then it means either you are buying crappy poor quality red wine and/or you are failing to drink about the same volume of water as the wine when you drink it.

There are so many horrible un-smooth tannin laden red wines out there. Yet there are so many really great easy drinking reds. Bear in mind also that a number of wines HAVE to be drunk whilst eating food for their true flavours to be appreciated.

In terms of easy drinking very pleasant and reasonably light reds I go for:

Some of the Beaujolais wines especially

Brouilly (George's De Boeff readily available)
Fleurie
Julienas

Also any

Sangiovese
Gammay

For slightly heavier but still easily drinkable I also go for

Pinot Noirs and
Pinotage

In terms of White wines I have some firm favourites which are

White Burgundy (a specific one I buy in cases)

Sancerre - for any fish dishes

No-one has yet mentioned more fortified wines so I will mention here too my favourite of these which is a 30 year old Pedro Ximinez sherry which is not like a glass of sherry at all but rather a deep, dark, uncious, treacle like sherry with aromas and tastes of Christmas, raisins and the like.
Very enjoyable in a small glass but also absolutely perfect poured over vanilla ice-cream or over fruit salads.
Bet you're sorry you asked now Carol !

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top