Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Re: Autumn bulb planting.

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Yep,Alliums to be put in,want a bit of rain to really soften the ground,its still relatively hard where I want to put them.

Hi caricature,I have just bought these from the garden centre,as you can see,7Summer Drummer,Allium.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	10641  
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Pauline you can plant Bellis now (they remind me of pompoms ) and they will flower through the winter and into spring .

They do well in tubs and do like to be in the sun what little we have in the winter. It is importent to keep up with dead heading to maintain flowering,

I tried to buy some at the garden centre,where they actually grow their own flowers,they had pansies on display,but no Bellis,..mind you most of the shelves were empty...so maybe they are starting to restock...I should have asked,...I will go back next week,...
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hi Nicol....when I grew bulbs in pots,I thought they bloomed every year..I was surprised to discover,that they don't,..well mine didn't,..all that came up were green tulip leaves,without the flowers?..
If you just get the leaves with no flowers it could be that they aren't planted deeply enough Pauline - maybe planted in pots they move upwards ... just a guess really.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

08-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
If you just get the leaves with no flowers it could be that they aren't planted deeply enough Pauline - maybe planted in pots they move upwards ... just a guess really.

I have just looked online,Margaret and "yes" you are right,another reason I have also read up on...if tulips don't flower every year,it can be because the soil is lacking Phosphorus,they need it in order to form flower buds,apparently ,...

I have just finished planting the last of the bulbs...I have a large pot inside the porch,with Allium and tulips in,...should I water them,as they are protected from the rain?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->

Margaret's probably right, Pauline.

Bulbs usually go in to a depth of about 3 times the height of the bulb you are planting. So the bigger the bulb, the deeper it goes.
That's the easiest way of remembering.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Margaret's probably right, Pauline.

Bulbs usually go in to a depth of about 3 times the height of the bulb you are planting. So the bigger the bulb, the deeper it goes.
That's the easiest way of remembering.
And don't cut the foliage back too quickly after the flowers have finished as the leaves are needed to feed the bulbs for next year.

You should leave the foliage to die back naturally and not remove it for at least 6 weeks after the flowers have finished.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hi caricature,I have just bought these from the garden centre,as you can see,7Summer Drummer,Allium.
Put them in yesterday,planted twenty odd with some lilies as well.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 01:56 PM

I went a bit crazy at Wilko last month and have lots of bulbs to plant, several varieties of daffs, allium, tulips.

I was thinking of maybe putting them in the raised beds where the veg were growing (or not growing!) in Summer. I'm just worried about the squirrels. On the patio I use diy foil covers which I make from tin foil plates you can buy at the supermarket. This keeps the squirrels out.

Ideally, I would love to plant them in the borders but the ground is still so hard because of the lack of rain recently. I keep waiting for rain but this darned sunshine is all we are getting (grumble, grumble). Still at least my tomatoes are producing a healthy crop as a result.

It's hard work planting bulbs, but it is lovely though when you suddenly see it all come to life in the Spring.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I went a bit crazy at Wilko last month and have lots of bulbs to plant, several varieties of daffs, allium, tulips.

I was thinking of maybe putting them in the raised beds where the veg were growing (or not growing!) in Summer. I'm just worried about the squirrels. On the patio I use diy foil covers which I make from tin foil plates you can buy at the supermarket. This keeps the squirrels out.

Ideally, I would love to plant them in the borders but the ground is still so hard because of the lack of rain recently. I keep waiting for rain but this darned sunshine is all we are getting (grumble, grumble). Still at least my tomatoes are producing a healthy crop as a result.

It's hard work planting bulbs, but it is lovely though when you suddenly see it all come to life in the Spring.

I agree with your last sentence Annie, but the down side to me is when they finish flowering and I've got loads and loads of half dead bulb leaves everywhere, often getting in the way of spring planting.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top