Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 04:07 PM

New Roses

I love my roses, but get quite a bit of trouble with Blackspot each year.
Anyway, I have decided to replace 4 of them this Autumn and this is what I have ordered.

Hope you like them as much as I do. I think they are beautiful.

I already have one of this first one, and it's lovely, so have ordered another. It is called "For Your Eyes Only."

And two of this one - "Inspiration."

And lastly - "Ness."

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 05:22 PM

Re: New Roses

I love roses also,I had a beautiful yellow one growing up my front wall..I cut it very hard back last year....it's started to grow again.

I love them all in your pics..my favourite is the first one in the pot...do they need a lot of sunshine?

I would love to buy one,pot it into a nice container ,then stand it inside my porch...not much sunshine in that area...do you think it will grow?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:07 PM

They are all gorgeous Mups. I love th colour of the orange one and the others are good for the bees because it is easy for them to get inside the blooms. One problem I have found with the David Austin roses is that the blooms are too tight for the bees.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:28 PM

They are lovely Mups .
Do you buy them bare root or already established .
( Never quite sure what bare root is )
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I love roses also,I had a beautiful yellow one growing up my front wall..I cut it very hard back last year....it's started to grow again.

I love them all in your pics..my favourite is the first one in the pot...do they need a lot of sunshine?

I would love to buy one,pot it into a nice container ,then stand it inside my porch...not much sunshine in that area...do you think it will grow?

Pauline, these roses are not really intended as indoor plants, and yes, they do need sunshine, preferable at least 6 hours a day.
The bottom two are over 3ft high as well, so would need a very deep tub.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They are all gorgeous Mups. I love th colour of the orange one and the others are good for the bees because it is easy for them to get inside the blooms. One problem I have found with the David Austin roses is that the blooms are too tight for the bees.

The first and last ones are lovely open blooms aren't they, and the middle one will open more than the photo is showing too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:41 PM

They are all truly lovely Mups. The way the weather is going you may get a bit of bloom this year.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-09-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
They are lovely Mups .
Do you buy them bare root or already established .
( Never quite sure what bare root is )

Muddy, these will all be bare root.

They dig them from the field usually Oct/Nov onwards, when they are more dormant so easier to post without all the greenery and buds.
They have no soil or pots round them, and look rather like a dead twiggy shrub.

They are quite a bit cheaper buying them this way too.
Then I soak them for a couple of hours in a bucket of water before sprinkling the roots with the Mycorrhizal fungus to get them off to a good start.
Then they have the winter to get used to their new surroundings before bursting into growth in the spring.

If you are buying mail order and can't pick them up yourself, I find this the best way because they have no leaves, buds or blooms to get damaged in transit.

If on the other hand, I can collect them myself, I prefer to buy when in bloom so I can see the colour and smell the perfume first.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:48 PM

They are all gorgeous Mups. I love the top one, "For Your Eyes Only" - it would look lovely in a tub.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-09-2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
They are all gorgeous Mups. I love the top one, "For Your Eyes Only" - it would look lovely in a tub.

Thanks Mags.
I already have that one, it is about 3 years old now and in a big tub.
It always puts on such a pretty display I thought I'd get another one. Pretty good disease resistance too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top