Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 06:45 PM

The war of the Worlds

A new adaptation starts tonight at 9pm on BBC1

The downside for me is that it stars Eleanor Tomlinson (Demelza Poldark), I'm not sure how that will work but will give it a try tonight.

I love the concept of The War of the Worlds although I did think the book itself was a bit.... repetitive, despite being a classic. Has to be better than the Tom Cruise version though.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019...s-in-the-cast/
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Re: The war of the Worlds

I expect that it will be long on CGI and short on characterisation .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I expect that it will be long on CGI and short on characterisation .....
Sadly you are probably right. There seems to be a bit of a run on them at the moment.... Somehow, the magic of Sci-Fi has gone.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 07:06 PM

I think CGI only enhances films, especially sci,fi...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 07:23 PM

I've been looking forward to it for so long, I hope it's true to the book. Looks good in the trailer!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 07:39 PM

It is supposed to be a good adaptation dark and brooding, I will give it a go
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 08:53 PM

I'll be watching it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
A new adaptation starts tonight at 9pm on BBC1

The downside for me is that it stars Eleanor Tomlinson (Demelza Poldark), I'm not sure how that will work but will give it a try tonight.

I love the concept of The War of the Worlds although I did think the book itself was a bit.... repetitive, despite being a classic. Has to be better than the Tom Cruise version though.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019...s-in-the-cast/
Surprisingly, a TV programme about the best Sc-Fi films of all time shown last night, gave the TC version a thumbs up as they (the `celeb` reviewers), thought it was in keeping with the original novel in contrast to the 1953 version.

To me, it sucked. For instance, how many plane crashes have you seen that scatter debris everywhere but leave a convenient corridor for our hero to drive through? The `son` got on my nerves too. Any acting plaudits in that film should go to Dakota Fanning, she out-acted everyone else.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Dakota Fanning is excellent,one of my favourite films is Secret Life of Bees, she was brilliant in it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-11-2019, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Surprisingly, a TV programme about the best Sc-Fi films of all time shown last night, gave the TC version a thumbs up as they (the `celeb` reviewers), thought it was in keeping with the original novel in contrast to the 1953 version.

To me, it sucked. For instance, how many plane crashes have you seen that scatter debris everywhere but leave a convenient corridor for our hero to drive through? The `son` got on my nerves too. Any acting plaudits in that film should go to Dakota Fanning, she out-acted everyone else.
Fanning was great in the part but I have never been a Cruise fan. I just think you can see him acting.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top