Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 08:51 AM

Christmas flowers/pot plants.

Do you buy any...for the Christmas season?..

I keep meaning to buy a hyacinth bulb in a glass jar..just add water.

I also bought a indoor fern,a few months back...it died on me...yet the ferns outside are so hardy,easy to grow,
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Re: Christmas flowers/pot plants.

I always buy a Poinsettia at Christmas Pauline - and sometimes they flowerer right into the Spring. I like indoor Hyacinths in the New Year because they remind me that Spring is on the way.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Amaryllis and two Christmas cacti. They are already flowering. I like a Poinsetta too, but prefer to get them nearer Christmas as buying them now they tend to look a bit past their best by the end of December.

Thinking of getting a small potted Christmas tree for the hall table. Sainsburys are doing decent sized ones for a tenner.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 01:19 PM

I always like a couple of Cyclamen on my windowsills at Christmas.
I have a lovely red Christmas Cactus which was a cutting I took from my Mum's huge plant, plus a white one too.

Like Annie, I always have a couple of Amaryllis too, and I have 8 Hyacinths in pots to come on later after Christmas.
Not doing any Paper Whites this year though.

I don't have the Pointsettas as they are poisionous to animals and my young Gertie nicks everything she can lay paws on.
MInd you, having said that, so are Amaryllis and Hyacinth bulbs too.

There is no need to be without colour in the winter as long as we're careful though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 01:24 PM

I like to buy potted hyacinth bulbs in the winter not particularly for Chrismas . They make the house cheerful and smell nice and are a useful addition to the regular house plants .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 03:50 PM

I have already bought my Amaryllis, Mr Mags always buys me the Pointsettia a week before Christmas, my daughter usually gives me a white Azalea and nearer Christmas I buy the Cyclamen.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 05:02 PM

I always buy two cyclamen as they do best for me .
Love amaryillis & hyacinths but they always go all floppy and look untidy.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I always buy two cyclamen as they do best for me .
Love amaryillis & hyacinths but they always go all floppy and look untidy.
I love Cyclamen but can't seem to keep them in the house for very long before they die! Not sure what I do wrong but they rarely last through the Christmas period

I have some in the garden that come up year after year though.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I love Cyclamen but can't seem to keep them in the house for very long before they die! Not sure what I do wrong but they rarely last through the Christmas period

Know what you mean Margaret F & is just irritating isn"t ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2019, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->

That's a pity Margaret.
Are you buying the indoor houseplant ones?

They do better kept quite cool and out of direct hot sunlight.
They also are best watered from underneath in the saucer, and let the roots suck it up.
If you keep the compost too wet on top, it will rot the corm.

Hope that's a bit of help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top