Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 06:20 PM

Re: The TV license.

I can afford to pay it but resent having to.
I can manage without the BBC - I hardly ever watch it!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 10:31 PM

I do enjoy watching some BBC programmes and I enjoy having the choice. I refuse to pay for subscription TV because I would want to get my monies worth by watching more TV, something that I don't want to do. So I don't consider the licence fee bad value for money when you stack it up against pay to view TV. So I will continue to pay for the licence annually by direct debit, because hasle is something I can do without, but so are the BBC's biased news and current affairs programmes, so I won't be watching those.....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 11:23 PM

I love BBC they do some fantastic programmes. It's just the news that's annoying. It's getting more and more biased. But that is not a reason to discount the fabulous dramas, nature programmes etc.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2020, 11:33 PM

I like Talking Heads, so will continue watching.
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 12:13 AM

The lack of understanding over the purpose of public service broadcasting and how it sits and works within commercial television is astonishing.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 12:27 AM

Don’t pay the licence fee if you don’t feel it’s fair but you are risking having your name and address printed in the local newspaper under ‘Court Reports’ and the fine you received.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 12:54 AM

Many decades ago (1960/70s) I briefly worked for the GPO TV Detector mob and drove about in a van frightening people. Very labour intensive business requiring three people - a driver, a technician (me) and a Postal bloke to confirm that they didn't have a licence. People were rarely prosecuted if they bought a licence after being detected.

Most of the time we just slowly drove about turning the aerials, usually the next day the local post office ran out of licence forms. We would only do a few calls each night

There were very severe limitations to the vehicle, it couldn't detect TVs above ground floor nor at the end of a cul de sac - you could see a TV was there but were unable triangulate them.

One time in Finsbury Park were parked for a meal break in the car park of a block of council flats. The driver drew our attention to the fact that the previously brightly lit block was slowly going dark. Again the next day the PO ran out of licence forms.

Not a very exciting job to be honest, I only did it for a few months. When we did knock on peoples door my job was to confirm the TV could work, in those days it was easy enough because they would usually still be warm! Occasionally we would come a cross a tv table with a dust free square on it and the TV hidden away. In those days you could tell what channel they were tuned to.

It still amuses me that the UK has retained a TV licence they must surely be the only country left that does.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 05:36 AM

Hi

I loathe adverts so am quite willing to pay.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I loathe adverts so am quite willing to pay.
You and me both Swim...The BBC is biased! But the adverts have done more to manipulate people and determine what is, and what is not acceptable and mould this country than the BBC news ever could....
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It still amuses me that the UK has retained a TV licence they must surely be the only country left that does.
A large majority of Europe continue to operate on a TV licence system

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top