Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:36 PM

Re: Has Technology Made Us...

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have friends, my age, who have not embraced technology, neither of them have a computer & neither have smart phones, they have phones like mine which are old & only used for calls or texting, so some of it they have taken to use, but basically.
When allowed, due to Covid, we'd get together & chat non stop about this & that. We'd go out together, not a device in sight & enjoy each others company.
My Daughter has her phone or her i pad with her all the time, Son is the same. I think it's mostly a generation thing, the younger you are the more you rely on the net & other technology.
I do like the net, but I don't need to have it all the time. I read a lot too, proper books that is, no kindle.

I agree Tiff. No one will ever get me into Kindle. The pre-used tablet I bought a few yrs ago had Kindle with some books in it. Nah. Just not the same at all.

The nice thing about REAL books, is the characters actually FEEL real because paper is so much more pleasant to hold. One can curl up with something warm and tactile which you can't do with a hard plastic screen.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I agree Tiff. No one will ever get me into Kindle. The pre-used tablet I bought a few yrs ago had Kindle with some books in it. Nah. Just not the same at all.

The nice thing about REAL books, is the characters actually FEEL real because paper is so much more pleasant to hold. One can curl up with something warm and tactile which you can't do with a hard plastic screen.
I agree. Nothing like a real book. Besides I like having an entire wall full of real books. It's going to be a cold day in **** before I buy or even read an electronic "book".

One more thing I absolutely hate about technology. Modern day cars have such jungle of electronic parts that it is nearly impossible to discover why the vehicle is running poorly. Back in the day, I could easily keep my vehicle running in top shape. Now, I need a computer and "scanners'. GRRR
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 04:01 PM

The one good thing about having a kindle is that it's easy to carry on reading wherever you go, without physically having to carry a book. By which I mean that there have been time when my wife has gone into a shop, and I can use my phone's kindle app to carry on reading where I left off.

But it is true, a paper book is usually far more preferential in so many ways. I tend to have a heavy going paper one on the go, and a couple of electronic light reads on kindle.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You CAN get good books on kindle Tiffany!
Its just the page turning is different ?
Oh ! And the smell and feel and look of a REAL book!!
But kindle can make the writing bigger, which l find essential now?

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
I don't need big writing, I have glasses I wear & there are always large print books if that fails, or audio books, I have a few of those also. I do prefer the smell & feel of a read book.

I agree with all you say here. I love books.
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 05:05 PM

The pre-used tablet I bought a few yrs ago had Kindle with some books in it
A proper Kindle (as in e-paper display) is utterly and completely different to read than the Kindle app on an LCD style display
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 05:29 PM

I can see having a Kindle for travelling purposes and the like would be preferable for those who might travel a lot, but in general, it doesn't float my boat.

Question:

As a matter of interest to Kindle lovers, if you needed to refer to or research something, would you prefer downloading to Kindle or have a book in your hands?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-12-2020, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
A proper Kindle (as in e-paper display) is utterly and completely different to read than the Kindle app on an LCD style display
Havenview I'm a complete dork, but I think I get the gist of what you're saying.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 05:36 PM

Has technology made us lazy? Well, l wouldn’t like to go back to using two cocoa tins joined by a string for communication!

Life is so fast now that we have to have the equipment to match and keep up with it all!!

Gone are the days, when we got about on penny farthing bicycles and hit a hoop with a stick!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-12-2020, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Life is so fast now that we have to have the equipment to match and keep up with it all!!

Not everyone has the means to do that though.

Gone are the days, when we got about on penny farthing bicycles and hit a hoop with a stick!
You remember those days?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 05:42 PM

Has technology made us lazy? Well, l wouldn’t like to go back to using two cocoa tins joined by a string for communication!

Speak for yourself. I've been keeping my pyre ready to spread the word for when the Armada approaches, and whittling farm animals out of turnips.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top