Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Re: Tomatoes.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Photo taken today. The variety is Shirley and I always sow my seeds in mid-February. I grow them on indoors until it's safe to transfer them to my cold greenhouse. I have made what amounts to a pig trough shaped container about 7 feet long which I fill with 3 growbags of compost and set 6 plants.

They look lovely healthy plants Alan. I grew Shirley last year and they were very nice. This year I've only got cherries though - Sweet Million & Red Cherry.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 05:34 AM

I reckon it'll be another two weeks before the first of my tomatoes are ripe. I've got 19 plants, 10 of which are plum tomatoes and the rest round ones which were given to me by neighbours. For the first time I'm growing runner beans as well as the French sort. They're unheard of over here but I brought a packet of seeds back from the UK not knowing how well they'd grow in a hot climate. Much to my surprise they're doing really well and I can't wait to pick my first crop!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Has anyone picked any home grown tomatoes yet ? Mine will be ready by the time we get back from Italy on 5 July.
Too early for me too and I grew my plants from seeds, sown indoors in late February!

My single cucumber's still a long way off producing anything too.

Cabbages though I'm knee deep in them and my spuds are all doing well!

We've been eating our own lettuce and other salad leaf crops for weeks but no matter what do I can't seem to gee-up tomatoes enough to get them cropping much before August but that's the price we pay for a North-facing garden. stevmk2
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Photo taken today. The variety is Shirley and I always sow my seeds in mid-February. I grow them on indoors until it's safe to transfer them to my cold greenhouse. I have made what amounts to a pig trough shaped container about 7 feet long which I fill with 3 growbags of compost and set 6 plants.
Hi Alan,

You seem to have a lot of foliage hiding the light from the fruit, I always cut the leaf stalks back on all trusses to leave two leaves under the top truss which in turn allow the fruit to have more feed plus more sunlight.

This may not suit your way of gardening, but it would not harm to test this out on one plant to see how you fair.

Roy
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Too early for me too and I grew my plants from seeds, sown indoors in late February!

My single cucumber's still a long way off producing anything too.

Cabbages though I'm knee deep in them and my spuds are all doing well!

We've been eating our own lettuce and other salad leaf crops for weeks but no matter what do I can't seem to gee-up tomatoes enough to get them cropping much before August but that's the price we pay for a North-facing garden. stevmk2

Same here Steve, daft when you think about it isn't it - I've got plenty of lettuce to eat but have to buy tomatoes still, then probably when the tomatoes are finally cropping my lettuce will be finished! That was bad planning. Note to myself to sow more lettuce leaves.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by toyboyroy ->
Hi Alan,
You seem to have a lot of foliage hiding the light from the fruit, I always cut the leaf stalks back on all trusses to leave two leaves under the top truss which in turn allow the fruit to have more feed plus more sunlight.
This may not suit your way of gardening, but it would not harm to test this out on one plant to see how you fair. Roy
Good point Roy!

We cut back as much excess foliage as possible once all the flowers have gone and tomatoes begin to form but you haveto keep an eye on watering, especially if they're in a greenhouse or polytunnel.

In Algeria and Malta I've seen tomato plants cut back to the bare minimum for that reason too.

Mind you, sun's not a problem there -it's water! stevmk2
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2014, 08:26 PM

I have always done it as it helps to alleviate leaf curl also.

As I say every gardener has their own way, but looking at Alan`s set up a shallow trough ( that's what appears to be) with a couple of grow bags, don`t seem a lot of depth for the roots. I would be inclined to try `Ring Culture`. Its only a 3-4" chippings with small flower buckets acquired from Asda or other supermarkets, they give them away gladly.

These filled with compost staggered along the chipping bed will give good depth, water & feed direct to the roots, well spaced and the chippings act as free drainage.

I miss my allotment, and I have nowhere at home, I used to try container gardening on my patio but could get the sun much through the day.

Sigh!!!

Roy
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 12:54 PM

Only just started picking mine and they're lovely and sweet.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Mine are coming ripe now... Delish!! I ony have one plant... but it's quite a plant. I've let it grow without pruning.. just to see how big they get.. It's pretty big.. I was worried it wouldn't produce that many tomatoes, but it has.. One plant that big is enough for hubby and myself.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Mine are just about over thank goodness! I had a bumper crop this year of both plum and round tomatoes. So far have picked around 15 kg (33lbs) and reckon there's another 7 kg (15 lb) to go. Far too many for me to eat on my own so what I haven't managed to give away have been frozen or made into soup ready for winter.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top