Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 11:02 AM

New Year's Resolution

I have a couple of New Year's Resolutions as far as food is concerned - I'm going to eat my way out of my kitchen

My freezer is mostly full of all sorts of half forgotten tubs & bags of veg, fish, various stews left over from larger batches, a couple of sausages.....you get the idea

Similarly I have tubs, bags, packets, cans, and jars of beans, soup, bulgur wheat, dried fruit, chick peas, sardines, herbs, and so on, and so on

Some of them have been sitting there for months & years
So my plan is to slowly work through that older stuff over the coming months; not exclusively, and I won't be drinking mugfuls of vinegar, or sprinkling paprika powder on my cornflakes just to get them used up, but you get the idea
By the time we get to summer I anticipate that the cupboards will be pretty bare, and I can start again

I've just checked; I have 18 or 19 cookery books, including several on diabetic, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern cookery - in fact I got another one as a Christmas present
And how many meals have I made from them? - very, very few
I tend to buy, cook, and eat the same things over & over again - I suspect that I am not alone in this

So another Resolution is to make more different meals, and I've set myself a target of one or two new things each week
If I can combine this with my first resolution of clearing the kitchen, then so much the better
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Re: New Year's Resolution

My New Year resolution is similar to yours. I have tupperware containers stacked in my freezer, each containing 3/4 of left over sauce made for a previous meal, i.e.what is in there now - Lemon Butter, Sweet Chilli, Diane, Mushroom and BBQ sauces, crying out to be used up.

My problem is that I always make too much for what I need and I end up freezing them, fully intending to use them the next time. Problem is that I then forget, usually until I am in the middle of making the sauce before suddenly realising that I have more than enough in the freezer!

It's the same with meals. I have more than enough in the freezer to not have to do a shop for main ingredients for two weeks, I promise myself I will use up what is there first but guaranteed by the time I do my weekly shop, into the trolley goes several days main meals for the week while my poor frozen foods continue to languish in the freezer.

So there it is. My New Year resolution - to actually remember and use up the freezer contents first!!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 01:59 AM

Re: New Year's Resolution

I don't know if I would call it a resolution but I plan on working on mastering more of my Chinese food. Number one on the hit parade will be Chinese noodles with just a bit of pork matchsticks and cabbage in a tiny amount of pork stock. (the noodles will be of the thicker/longer variety)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top