Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 01:15 PM

Re: Still argue ing!! HS2!!

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
IMHO an easy way to speed up the journey time between Brum and London is to NOT STOP at so many stations en route. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to have maybe one direct train/hr or so from New Street to Euston and v.v.
I agree all of the above Percy! But l see the the campaign to get
the project started is now hotting up and the lord mayors of most
of the cities involved are motivating for a favourable decision
soon! It seems they are only interested in the building of the
system and not if it is viable or not?
I have not seen any figures on how long it will take to pay back the
money borrowed?l suppose that as the cost has escalated so much
allready the figures will be far in exccess of predictions both in
time scales and predicted costs of fares etc?
I believe the present fares London/York return are allready an
exorbitant £200!
What will be the fare on HS2??
Donkeyman!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 01:55 PM

Until BREXIT was set in train (oops!) there was a good deal of sense in HS2. Now there is none.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 04:36 PM

I've been reading up on both sides of the argument surrounding HS2 and here's what I think:

London to Brum should be postponed for the foreseeable future/cancelled altogether 'cos I've never thought it necessary. Any houses, farms, businesses already purchased should be sold off/returned to their original owners.

Brum to Leeds/Manchester/other points north should go ahead immediately, as should the many times delayed improvements to the northern east-west routes.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I've been reading up on both sides of the argument surrounding HS2 and here's what I think:

London to Brum should be postponed for the foreseeable future/cancelled altogether 'cos I've never thought it necessary. Any houses, farms, businesses already purchased should be sold off/returned to their original owners.

Brum to Leeds/Manchester/other points north should go ahead immediately, as should the many times delayed improvements to the northern east-west routes.
And make the M25 one way with one "on ramp" at Dover and another at the channel tunnel exit with "off ramps" leading direct to Dover docks and the Channel Tunnel entry péage.

No others, just those.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
And make the M25 one way with one "on ramp" at Dover and another at the channel tunnel exit with "off ramps" leading direct to Dover docks and the Channel Tunnel entry péage.

No others, just those.
Brilliant idea Todger! Jus one addition to that should be to pick up
all the illegals before entering the tunnel and scrape them off on
the other side?
Donkeyman!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Brilliant idea Todger! Jus one addition to that should be to pick up
all the illegals before entering the tunnel and scrape them off on
the other side?
Donkeyman!
Hi

As from the end of this year we will have no right to return Illegals to the EU.

Upset the French and they can cancel the arrangement to have our Border Control in France with 6 months notice.

We do not hold all the cards in this game.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

20-01-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

As from the end of this year we will have no right to return Illegals to the EU.

Upset the French and they can cancel the arrangement to have our Border Control in France with 6 months notice.

LOL!

Oh yes we do.

Sod the French.

We will need to have our border controls here in any case. I'd like to see a visa requirement with our border controls here and no legitimate permission to enter the UK then straight back on whatever the illegals used to reach our border control just as is done in other countries.

We're now getting OUR independence back, no longer to be some vassal state to the European Commission.

We won't be subject to EU rules and regs. Our country - WE will call the shots and be free to give the bums rush to illegals and the undesirable.

We might have to set up some long term, and I MEAN long term camp, preferably in some third world country, for illegals or undesirables who don't assist in their repatriation, but that's all for the good.

This is the start of something very very good. Bring it on.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 12:21 PM

The M6 Toll Road opened 2003, the 27 miles costing £900m to build, despite once completed, there have been virtually zero overheads, it still has not turned a profit due to interest costs on the initial financing. What chance of turning a profit whilst furnishing a potential interest on a debt of £106bn?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

21-01-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The M6 Toll Road opened 2003, the 27 miles costing £900m to build, despite once completed, there have been virtually zero overheads, it still has not turned a profit due to interest costs on the initial financing. What chance of turning a profit whilst furnishing a potential interest on a debt of £106bn?
You have put it in a nutshell Spitty!
It is obvious all these costs will be passed on to our future citizens?
Imo its part of the live now, pay later culture which our financial
system encourages??
Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

21-01-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I see the border control guys actually returned a boatload to calais
Yesterday Swimmy! So maybe things are changing?
Has this happened before?
Donkeyman!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top