Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 12:54 PM

Brining Chicken Breasts, Thighs, Legs, Pork Chops Etc.

Used this method for the first time last night for Dinner. I had two Chicken Breasts that I had actually remembered to take out of the freezer to defrost the night before. Yeh! when I came across this tip online that said if you take the time to brine them first, you are guaranteed to have the most tender, moist chicken, so I thought I would give it a go.

I put 100grams of salt into a bowl and mixed it with 1/2 Litre of cold water. That is it! Just place your chicken or pork chops into the brine and leave for 30 minutes before removing from the brine with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with kitchen paper. Pat dry with a few more sheets of kitchen paper just to remove excess brine and then cook as you would normally.

(Lots of people add fresh herbs, crushed garlic or bay leaves to the brine for seasoning, but totally unnecessary for the actual brining process itself).

The Chicken Breasts turned out beautifully. If you prefer to leave the skins on your chicken, they will turn out beautifully crisp. Enjoy!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Re: Brining Chicken Breasts, Thighs, Legs, Pork Chops Etc.

Great idea. I've done this before and it works a treat. You've inspired me to do it for Sunday night.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:05 PM

I also use a brine but for much longer with less salt and more water. I usually brine overnight.

I pull the chicken out of the fridge about 2 hrs ahead of time, pat to dry and then season with salt, black pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Let set to come up to room temp so the deep fat oil temp does not drop too much. Then I coat with flour and a few TBLSP of corn starch to add extra crispness. Then deep fry as normal. Delicious.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:21 PM

I just read 'Breasts' 'Thighs' and 'Legs' and I was in here like a shot.............Pity I didn't read that it was in the food and drink section......
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:24 PM

OGF, we will have to do what the Army top brass used to do during WW1 and WW2 and put some Bromide in your early morning cuppa!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I also use a brine but for much longer with less salt and more water. I usually brine overnight.

I pull the chicken out of the fridge about 2 hrs ahead of time, pat to dry and then season with salt, black pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Let set to come up to room temp so the deep fat oil temp does not drop too much. Then I coat with flour and a few TBLSP of corn starch to add extra crispness. Then deep fry as normal. Delicious.
Must agree with you Bakerman. On some of the recipes for Brining, they do suggest the longer the better, but 30 minutes does exactly the same job so I have just gone with that. The chicken breasts really did turn out lovely and tender and moist, (something which I don't always manage to get with both all of the time). The recipe I saw said that this way of brining is the creme de la creme for sliced chicken in a salad, so it must come out perfect as there is no hiding the chicken when it is served with a salad.

As it also said, herbs, garllic peppercorns etc are solely to season the brine, but they are not necessary, just the salt and cold water is required. So I followed that.

It really does make a difference though, doesn't it? Wish you had passed this tip on to me BM, I would have used this method from day one if I had known.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
OGF, we will have to do what the Army top brass used to do during WW1 and WW2 and put some Bromide in your early morning cuppa!
Haha, Mrs Fox has already got it covered Shropy....

Just as a matter of fact though, after reading this thread I decided what I would be having for dinner tonight.
I rushed out to Tesco and purchased some of their finest Chicken Drummers... They just need warming in the oven though....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Used this method for the first time last night for Dinner. I had two Chicken Breasts that I had actually remembered to take out of the freezer to defrost the night before. Yeh! when I came across this tip online that said if you take the time to brine them first, you are guaranteed to have the most tender, moist chicken, so I thought I would give it a go.

I put 100grams of salt into a bowl and mixed it with 1/2 Litre of cold water. That is it! Just place your chicken or pork chops into the brine and leave for 30 minutes before removing from the brine with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with kitchen paper. Pat dry with a few more sheets of kitchen paper just to remove excess brine and then cook as you would normally.

(Lots of people add fresh herbs, crushed garlic or bay leaves to the brine for seasoning, but totally unnecessary for the actual brining process itself).

The Chicken Breasts turned out beautifully. If you prefer to leave the skins on your chicken, they will turn out beautifully crisp. Enjoy!
I'll pass that on to my dear wife. She cooks. I know which wire colour to use..............

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top