Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 02:31 PM

So What Now With Huawei Being Awarded G5 Access

Albeit with limited access to our Security and Military links due to the five eyes partnership worry over such things as espionage.
I can well imagine Trump being apoplectic over Boris Johnson's decision to allow them to operate here after taking advice from such as GCHQ, that the risks are 'manageable.' After all, Huawei have been here with us since 2001, and British Telecom and Vodaphone have both used their equipment to operate G3 and G4. So why now all the worry ?

Methinks there is more to it than just the worry of our own and our partner's security. The USA is in the middle of a trade war with China. Australia banned Huawei on the say of the USA, New Zealand planning the same. So the UK, on the cusp of Brexit and new independence, and with Trump offering no alternative, plus the fact that if we refused to allow Huawei access with their technology, other work being carried out by them would be in trouble, we are expected to act like a poodle and do as we are told or our trade deal with the USA is in jeopardy?

Not off to a good start with the ''Special Relationship' are we? The sooner the USA realises that independence means just that. The UK will make it's own decisions on our technology. We deserve the respect of not being dictated to as to whom we award contracts to in this country. Advice always welcome. Bullying orders, No!

I believe Huawei will be very beneficial in working with G5 and hopefully, other Western technology companies working closely with them will eventually catch up and be perfectly acceptable for our national security and military communications.
But we don't have such a luxury at the present time, so Huawei it is.

Good decision by Boris.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 02:45 PM

Re: So What Now With Huawei Being Awarded G5 Access

I think you've hit the nail on the head SG. It's all down to Trump's dispute with China, especially as Huawei are expanding their range of mobile phones to the detriment of Apple - a big income earner for the US.

It doesn't help the `special relationship`when the UK is actively being intimidated by threats over trading with the US after the UK leaves the shackles of the EU.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 03:13 PM

Exactly Judd. I appreciate this must have been a very difficult decision for Boris with Huawei already established here and Trump biting his heels with threats regarding trade deals.
But he has made a good decision by limiting Huawei, already a company well established here in communication technology, from security and military, but allowing them to begin roll out 5G.

Just think, if he had turned Huawei away, imagine the economic cost of them ripping out all their existing equipment??

Trump seems quite willing to sacrifice the economies of his 5 eyes partners at absolutely no cost to him - in his endeavour to find any means to punish China with his trade war, so I am pleased Boris has flicked his fingers at Trump's forehead by not bowing down to his ridiculous threats towards us already.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Hi

I agree, my reason for leaving the EU was not money, it was our right to govern ourselves.

No point in swapping Macron and Merkel for Trump.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 03:32 PM

The Americans are right. Incorporating a network component that can leak like a sieve and is of necessity able to autonomously reconfigure itself and even lumps of the network configuration is not a good idea.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 04:02 PM

Twas a tough call, let's hope Boris got it right. I just hope he makes the right call now over HS2 and cancels the b****y thig!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 04:41 PM

Its going to be interesting to see what businesses operate on 5G here in the UK and adopt the technology.

I think 5G will have 99% of its traffic occupied by videos of cats doing weird things and girls in yoga pants pulling stupid faces.

Saying that I would rather not have Huawei 5G at all. It's a very serious threat to our security. Considering the USA invented the internet and the UK invented the world wide web we should be able to come up with a much better solution in a short time.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-01-2020, 06:44 PM

Bread, do agree with you that it would have been better if there had been a competitor for 5G out there, but there wasn’t. Just been reading that the only two, Ericsson and Nokia, the two Nordic providers, stood to benefit greatly filling in the gaps left if Huawei had been turned down. Huawei, along with the two above are the only three capable of providing the hardware needed to roll out 5G.
The problem there is that Huawei is already integral to the UK 3G and 4G network,so the other two would not have been capable of meeting the tight roll-out targets. Huawei is already used for 4G so it makes sense to continue with them, at least for early 5G networks. If Boris had chosen one of the other two over them, the cost of just replacing our existing 4G alone would have been astronomical.

Besides, America has no right to demand that we kick them out. It may well have made a difference if they had an alternative to offer us, but they haven’t. The American networking giant, Cisco has been working on a form of 5G called network slicing, but it is only in its first advanced stages, far away from supporting our national infrastructure.

Korea’s Samsung and Japan’s Rakuten have also built 5G, but having no existing or past connection to the UK network, all the carriers here have been loathe to take a chance on new suppliers and astronomical costs involved.
According to Boris. 5G is far too important as the largest upgrade in decades, to take a chance on new suppliers when we already have an existing one - Huawei - already on board and ready to go.

Now I don’t at my age,pretend to know the first thing regarding technology. I really had to read up about all of this from every avenue I could find before daring to give a reply to the post, but even an old fart like myself can read between the lines. This seems to be more about economics rather than security issues.
I really do believe that Huawei got the prize because they are more capable and cheaper than any of their competitors. End of.
Boris has made the correct decision. This is what independence is all about, good, bad and despite the bogeyman. We have to get used to it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Bread, do agree with you that it would have been better if there had been a competitor for 5G out there, but there wasn’t. Just been reading that the only two, Ericsson and Nokia, the two Nordic providers, stood to benefit greatly filling in the gaps left if Huawei had been turned down. Huawei, along with the two above are the only three capable of providing the hardware needed to roll out 5G.
The problem there is that Huawei is already integral to the UK 3G and 4G network,so the other two would not have been capable of meeting the tight roll-out targets. Huawei is already used for 4G so it makes sense to continue with them, at least for early 5G networks. If Boris had chosen one of the other two over them, the cost of just replacing our existing 4G alone would have been astronomical.

Besides, America has no right to demand that we kick them out. It may well have made a difference if they had an alternative to offer us, but they haven’t. The American networking giant, Cisco has been working on a form of 5G called network slicing, but it is only in its first advanced stages, far away from supporting our national infrastructure.

Korea’s Samsung and Japan’s Rakuten have also built 5G, but having no existing or past connection to the UK network, all the carriers here have been loathe to take a chance on new suppliers and astronomical costs involved.
According to Boris. 5G is far too important as the largest upgrade in decades, to take a chance on new suppliers when we already have an existing one - Huawei - already on board and ready to go.

Now I don’t at my age,pretend to know the first thing regarding technology. I really had to read up about all of this from every avenue I could find before daring to give a reply to the post, but even an old fart like myself can read between the lines. This seems to be more about economics rather than security issues.
I really do believe that Huawei got the prize because they are more capable and cheaper than any of their competitors. End of.
Boris has made the correct decision. This is what independence is all about, good, bad and despite the bogeyman. We have to get used to it.
Another excellent post SG.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2020, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Its going to be interesting to see what businesses operate on 5G here in the UK and adopt the technology.

I think 5G will have 99% of its traffic occupied by videos of cats doing weird things and girls in yoga pants pulling stupid faces.

Saying that I would rather not have Huawei 5G at all. It's a very serious threat to our security. Considering the USA invented the internet and the UK invented the world wide web we should be able to come up with a much better solution in a short time.
Hi

5G is essential to improving productivity, an area in which we are woefully behind even the French.

Boris wants to steal a march on our competitors in this respect.

It is the USA which considers it a security threat, not our Security Services.

We do not have the manufacturing infrastructure to build our own, neither do we own the patents.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top