Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 11:56 AM

I Wish There Was An ‘Abbreviation Corner’ On Here.

How many times do you read a post and it’s full of abbreviations? The poster knows their meaning but many others don’t!
It’s annoying to try and work it out and then have to go off site to ‘google’ it.
One such abbreviation l noticed today was, FOFLFAO. I ‘googled’ it but it didn’t show up in the search.
I have, l think, now worked it out.....eeek!

Do any other members get annoyed with abbreviations?
Do you google them, try and work them out yourself or wish their was an ‘Abbreviation Corner’ aka AC!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Re: I Wish There Was An ‘Abbreviation Corner’ On Here.

I can usually work out what most abbreviations mean and the context of the passage/sentence usually guides me. One site I use regularly often has abbreviations to avoid the obscenity auto sensor such as WALOOB = what a load of old gonads and sometime an F is inserted between the last O and B. You just have to be on the ball
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:19 PM

What does it mean
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It’s annoying to try and work it out and then have to go off site to ‘google’ it.
One such abbreviation l noticed today was, FOFLFAO. I ‘googled’ it but it didn’t show up in the search.
IMO, I think that's a poster's corruption of the accepted ROFLMAO - so, in effect, two spelling mistakes in an acronym ..... OTOH, FOFLFAO may well be the new ROFLMAO - I may OOD .....

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:29 PM

It really annoys me Art & I tend to ignore the post if I don't understand the abbreviation.

My English teacher, at school, once told me that I should not use the abbreviation "fab"! She said that she knew lots of young people did it, but if you are proud to use the English language, why be so lazy that you can't use the correct word?

She would be cross now, if she saw how people now just use the first letter of a word to say a whole sentence, and I am sure she would remind us that what you are saying can easily be misinterpreted...... I tend to agree with her that it is just laziness!

I can understand some French and German, but if they did the same I would have no idea what they meant!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:39 PM

There was even a "band" by the name of LMFAO a few years ago. No wonder they had to abbreviate it!

I got one on here yesterday from somebody but I can't remember what it was now. I asked them at the time and it was so obvious when they explained it though.

I use a few like "lol" or "IMO" but, yes, I'd rather talk in my proper language rather than behave like a teenage girl texting away whilst listening to the latest Rihanna 'stream' (lol)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by noolsg ->
What does it mean
What does "it" mean, noolsg? Information Technology

What does "noolsg" mean btw?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 12:49 PM

I hate them and don't use them.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

22-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
How many times do you read a post and it’s full of abbreviations? The poster knows their meaning but many others don’t!

Do any other members get annoyed with abbreviations?
Do you google them, try and work them out yourself or wish their was an ‘Abbreviation Corner’ aka AC!
Hey Art, I've got one:

Ask
Random
Teasers
And
Not
Get
Explanations
Logically
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 01:41 PM

I've noticed some folk on here say FCS when they mean FFS (like the rest of the WWW says). Does that mean I'm in good company?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top