Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Re: Support groups

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I went to a counsellor who said, "Join a group".
I joined a fybro group who meet once a month, I went to a couple of meetings but, got so fed up with everyone saying how ill they were and posting things on the fb page which are all the same thing about how no one knows how terrible they feel, I couldn't stand it, too depressing! If I tell people how I feel, I find they lose interest very quickly so I just get on with it & find something to take my mind off it if I can.
That's exactly how my ACOA group was.. NO ONE had it worse than them.. No one was neglected more.. beaten more... abused more.....it was like a contest..and it got old really fast. When I would talk of positive things I was doing in my life to improve it, there almost was a group YAWN... and the topic quickly moved on to the next horror story.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 12:36 PM

That's sad I wonder if it depends what the group is about, as I said ours is about helping people and getting them out into the world believing they are fine and can what they want. I did join a baby loss forum once and left very quickly the depressive posts where people refused to move on would have brought me down with them.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's sad I wonder if it depends what the group is about, as I said ours is about helping people and getting them out into the world believing they are fine and can what they want. I did join a baby loss forum once and left very quickly the depressive posts where people refused to move on would have brought me down with them.
And I think it's important for a group to have a strong leader that is going to steer the focus to more postitive topics and away from the negative. I think groups are helpful when you are looking for information about a particular thing. Most leave groups after they get what they are looking for. A few stay on to be of help to others.. and some stay on to feed their particular emotional need by being perpetually stuck.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
And I think it's important for a group to have a strong leader that is going to steer the focus to more postitive topics and away from the negative. I think groups are helpful when you are looking for information about a particular thing. Most leave groups after they get what they are looking for. A few stay on to be of help to others.. and some stay on to feed their particular emotional need by being perpetually stuck.
That was my experience, need to be more positive to help others ......
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 01:03 PM

I joined a wonderful support website for oral cancer. There was one thread where people compared operations, but the ops were not mentioned elsewhere, another thread offered recipes for soft but appetising meals. I enjoyed the chat but stupidly when I had a set back, stopped going - I know that it was a support website but with so many worse off than myself, felt that I did not want to bother them as they had their own problems.

One day I might realise that support is two ways, you can take as well as give.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top