Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2015, 08:47 PM

Surprise, surprise !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...in-months.html It hasn't taken them long !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2015, 09:13 PM

Re: Surprise, surprise !

I think I am too depressed about it all to comment
seacroft
york
seacroft is male  seacroft has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2015, 10:37 PM

£74000 is not a very high salary for the job they do, what's the problem.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2015, 10:50 PM

It's not popular with the PM either, "The news is likely to infuriate David Cameron, the Prime Minister, who in 2013 said that the proposed pay rise was unacceptable"
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by seacroft ->
£74000 is not a very high salary for the job they do, what's the problem.
Tell that to the young people who will now lose their homes because they no longer get help with their rent and starve with no JSA.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...in-months.html It hasn't taken them long !
This has been in the news for a long while, and Cameron's views are well known on it, so to imply that it has just been introduced as a first act by the new government is quite unjust.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
This has been in the news for a long while, and Cameron's views are well known on it, so to imply that it has just been introduced as a first act by the new government is quite unjust.
It was a news item in yesterday's paper Barry so I'm not implying anything...............other than nurses and other public sector workers might be none too pleased if it goes ahead.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 06:12 AM

It was a news item in yesterday's paper Barry so I'm not implying anything...............other than nurses and other public sector workers might be none too pleased if it goes ahead.
So what then is the meaning of "Surprise surprise"and "it hasn't taken them long" ? Have I missed something in translation.....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

13-05-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
So what then is the meaning of "Surprise surprise"and "it hasn't taken them long" ? Have I missed something in translation.....
"Surprise Surprise" was irony and "it hasn't taken them long" was by virtue of the fact that they've only been back in power a few days and a pay rise has hit the news already. Don't get me wrong Barry, I'm in favour of the MPs getting the rate for the job but likewise for nurses and all the other public sector workers. If the country can't afford more than a 1% rise for these groups neither can it do so for MPs.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 06:35 AM

"Surprise Surprise" was irony and "it hasn't taken them long" was by virtue of the fact that they've only been back in power a few days and a pay rise has hit the news already. Don't get me wrong Barry, I'm in favour of the MPs getting the rate for the job but likewise for nurses and all the other public sector workers. If the country can't afford more than a 1% rise for these groups neither can it do so for MPs.

Agree - the rise should not be seen as a smack in the face for equally hard workers .......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top