Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 06:42 AM

Re: Surprise, surprise !

Its not the first time is it.. I remember back in the 1980's or 90's when nurses were told they couldnt have a pay rise because there was no money available and a month or so later the MP's gave themselves 7%.

If their jobs were paid on performence ratings like some sales people the majority of MP's would be bankrupt.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 07:14 AM

I will make the point that this pay rise, however you feel about it, has been in the pipeline for nearly a year now and would have been implimented regardless of which party won the election.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by seacroft ->
£74000 is not a very high salary for the job they do, what's the problem.
....a £7000 pay rise. That's the problem
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 09:57 AM

Aren't MP's salaries set by an independent body? It's out of their hands, so as to avoid this sort of bad press.
It's the Guardian and the rest of the media who decide when to make it an issue. Hornets nests and agitation spring to mind.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Aren't MP's salaries set by an independent body? It's out of their hands, so as to avoid this sort of bad press.
It's the Guardian and the rest of the media who decide when to make it an issue. Hornets nests and agitation spring to mind.
Likewise for nurses when they got their1%......except for those due to get an increment and they got 0%. However you look at it those at the top of the tree are getting the largest increases. I read in todays newspaper that Chief Executives of the big companies got an average pay rise of 250% over the last 10 years. How can that be justified ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Likewise for nurses when they got their1%......except for those due to get an increment and they got 0%. However you look at it those at the top of the tree are getting the largest increases. I read in todays newspaper that Chief Executives of the big companies got an average pay rise of 250% over the last 10 years. How can that be justified ?
It can't a lot of us have had no pay rise in that time at all. It's only when we get down and hit NMW we start to get pay rises in line with that. More and more jobs are becoming NMW now it will get everyone in the end unless they are in one of the public sector areas.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I will make the point that this pay rise, however you feel about it, has been in the pipeline for nearly a year now and would have been implimented regardless of which party won the election.
Yes it was Barry, but in that VT DC said all leaders agreed they shouldn't received whilst there is pay restraint, so if they get it, it will clearly pave the way for all workers who have been on a pay restraint for some years now, to fight tooth and nail for a rise.
Don't forget the PM saying "we are all in it together" well we shall see.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Yes Barry but saying that doesn't make a such good story in the media does it

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top