Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Tackling in schools

School rugby: Is tackling 'intolerable' or essential?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35704527

So should we allow rugby tackling in schools is the question ?

For me the answer is we need better trained trainers who can teach rugby so kids can tackle and fall in a less dangerous way. Our local rugby club teaches well with very few injuries whereas our schools seem to be sending Tom dick and Harry to a&e after every lesson.

Also need to match up the teams according to size of pupil not age as some kids are like men at a very young age and others are small like kids until much later.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Re: Tackling in schools

You've covered everything there Julie - feel the same way
Saw the item on TV news yesterday, the injuries are horrendous, so a solution needs to be found and your suggestions heeded
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 04:46 PM

Whatever next? How long have our children been playing Rugby? Its a great game for toughening up the boys ok you may get hurt so what its all part of the game. What next ban tackling in football?
This dumb idea is probably all down to some idiot who has never played Rugby and knows sod all about the game. Just leave it as it is children get hurt all the time getting up to things that children do everyday.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 04:49 PM

It is dangerous.
People have had their necks broken playing rugby.
IMO Touch rugby is OK for children
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Whatever next? How long have our children been playing Rugby? Its a great game for toughening up the boys ok you may get hurt so what its all part of the game. What next ban tackling in football?
This dumb idea is probably all down to some idiot who has never played Rugby and knows sod all about the game. Just leave it as it is children get hurt all the time getting up to things that children do everyday.
Doc, being paralysed or losing an eye is not worth it at such a young age. When older you can decide if you take the risk
Finding a solution seems sensible to me
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It is dangerous.
People have had their necks broken playing rugby.
IMO Touch rugby is OK for children
Broken necks have been an aspect of Rugby (very few, but too many) but that has absolutely nothing to do with tackling and everything to do with the incredible force generated by two teams of 8 massive men pushing against each other in the scrum.

I'm not convinced that size is an issue for kids. I played Rugby from age 11 when I was a tiny skinny kid - much smaller than most of my classmates. I was without exception the best tackler in the school and my old games master would use me as an example of how to tackle. My son was exactly the same - at 9 he was by far the smallest in his class, but the best player and the best tackler. As Julie said, it's about technique and training. If we try to protect our kids from every conceivable danger, the human race will end up as a race of boring bland blobs.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 02:35 PM

Unfortunately i do know of a family whose son was paralyzed form the neck down in a school rugby match .
He died a few weeks later .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 02:37 PM

Sorry to hear that muddy it really does need to be taken more seriously one young life is one too many IMO.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 04:42 PM

And should we also stop parents from taking their kids skiing?
Stop youngsters playing ice hockey, football, lacrosse or sailing, mountaineering etc?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
And should we also stop parents from taking their kids skiing?
Stop youngsters playing ice hockey, football, lacrosse or sailing, mountaineering etc?
All kids should be wrapped up in bubble wrap every morning before they step out of the house
They should be protected from any interaction with other children whilst away from their oppressive and misguided parental minders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top