Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 05:22 AM

What about EU Expats?

Just as a matter of interest has any decision been made about UK residents living in mainland Europe? I wondered about those UK citizens who have houses in France, Spain etc. Likewise EU passport holders who have bought homes in the UK.

A few days ago I was talking to an old friend of mine (retired teacher, lives in Exeter) she told me that her nephew had just taken up French citizenship because he was worried about life after Brexit - he has lived and worked in Paris for decades and is married to a French Algerian. I also have an old school friend who has worked in Germany as a technical writer for decades, though I have lost touch with him in the last few years, I wonder how he will fare.

Is there any clarity about this yet? Surely no country wants a fire sale of foreign owned houses in 9 months time?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 08:43 AM

Re: What about EU Expats?

Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Just as a matter of interest has any decision been made about UK residents living in mainland Europe?
Is there any clarity about this yet? Surely no country wants a fire sale of foreign owned houses in 9 months time?
Not from Europe. Having bullied and beaten us over the head with everything they can think of until they've got a decision about how we will treat the Europeans, they haven't been bothered to think of plan for themselves. Don't make the mistake of thinking the talks are negotiation, they are not. All we have had are ultimatums about what we should give them and in return complete obstruction and arrogance with regard to our requests for action from them. So I wouldn't hold your breath Bruce you probably won't be hearing anything in the near future.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:01 PM

Hi

Here you go.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-f...ving-in-europe
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Previous 2 posts sum up the Brexit discussion to me.

There are facts and popularly held beliefs, never the twain shall meet.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 03:53 PM

If they choose to live abroad then they have no interest in wanting to come back to the UK anyway. So why should we worry about them?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
If they choose to live abroad then they have no interest in wanting to come back to the UK anyway. So why should we worry about them?
Because they are friends and/or relations?
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Previous 2 posts sum up the Brexit discussion to me.

There are facts and popularly held beliefs, never the twain shall meet.
Perhaps you would care to explain?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Perhaps you would care to explain?
They are self explanatory, but for you......

The first is full of misinformation of widely held 'beliefs'.......the second a direct link to the truth.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Not from Europe. Having bullied and beaten us over the head with everything they can think of until they've got a decision about how we will treat the Europeans, they haven't been bothered to think of plan for themselves. Don't make the mistake of thinking the talks are negotiation, they are not. All we have had are ultimatums about what we should give them and in return complete obstruction and arrogance with regard to our requests for action from them. So I wouldn't hold your breath Bruce you probably won't be hearing anything in the near future.
In short, nothing has yet been decided.

However, I am sure that if Mrs Maybe should actually bite the bullet and we walk away without any 'deal', they EU will give UK ex-pats no guarantee of anything.

At the same time the UK, being the joke of the world these days, will give any EU ex-pats the full liberty to do what they want.

Actually, some good friends of ours have a small cottage in the Loire Valley and are quite concerned about what will actually happen. I have suggested to them that they might be wise to apply for French citizenship, but they're still um-ing and ah-ing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top