Join for free
Page 7 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 05:47 PM

Re: Leavers and Remainers, A Call For Unity?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The UK's only course of action is to remove the EU operatives within government and put in their place true politicians who will dutifully represent the needs of the country and the wishes of its people.

That requires a revolution of some kind.
The only thing we have ever had resembling a revolution was the Civil War in 1642 - 1660.

On that occasion, Parliament overturned and executed the King.

If our MPs manage to prevent us leaving the EU, it would be really nice if the Queen could overturn and execute our wonderful parliament, or at least some of them!

Not as far fetched as you might imagine: she has the support of the armed services, each and every member having sworn an oath to defend her.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
As far as I can see article 50 made the referendum legally binding at that point. When they voted for it we were contracted to leave on a certain date.
Yes you are correct it was Parliament and not the people who had the sovereign right to do so.

But, they can also use that sovereign right to extend or even withdraw Article 50 if there is a majority in the house to do so
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 06:44 PM

I thought John Major made some sensible suggestions today .
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...or-theresa-may
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 06:51 PM

Isn't it time that the country came to it's senses over Brexit and accepted that there can be no outcome that suits everyone, and that we all have to give up something to make it work? Opinions on all sides are so diverse even between the leavers and remainers themselves, so at least can we agree that there can never be an outright winner, and that we can never have any kind of consensus without all of us showing enough grown up pragmatism to move more to the centre ground?

The tragedy is that whilst everyone, particularly politicians, are stamping their feet like petulant children demanding their own way then I worry that Brexit is just getting further and further away and slipping through our fingers. In my opinion the deal on the table last week was the centre ground that we should all have been looking for, not perfect by any means but a foot out of the door and at least a known outcome, which would have given a level of certainty to commerce, more stability to the country politically and light at the end of the tunnel for us to leave the EU in a controlled and orderly fashion.

I would venture to suggest that parliament, since they voted down the PM's deal is now being rigged with the aid of that disgrace of a speaker Bercow, and the disgraceful opposition, to either avoid a no deal, lumber us with another referendum, or indeed lumber us with another general election, and whatever happens next we will, I fear, more than likely have missed our best chance of a half decent Brexit, with a much softer one than the one the table now being the most likely outcome.

If the PM comes back with her deal on Monday our MPs should take the opportunity this time to grasp it, for in my opinion we need to take the bird in the hand because the two in the bush have already flown. !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 06:53 PM

Normally on any other topic I would agree Barry but what would middle ground brexit look like ? we voted to leave there is no middle ground unless IMO we just stay in and I'd hate to see the country if we did.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Hi

The problem as I see it is that sensible solutions have gone out of the window.

We now have tribal warfare at it worst, on both sides.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 07:46 PM

i would love to be able to listen to what MP's are saying to each other now they have let us know just what traitorous wretches they are. They at least know the level of contempt the public hold them in, as all contributors on social media have made it absolutely plain of their absolute loathing of them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I thought John Major made some sensible suggestions today .
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...or-theresa-may
Well he would poke his oar in wouldn't he as he was the signatory of the Maastricht Treaty which set the whole rotten saga in motion.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Well he would poke his oar in wouldn't he as he was the signatory of the Maastricht Treaty which set the whole rotten saga in motion.
Indeed.

He is the one for, in effect, forcing us to join the EU.

We were already benefiting from our membership of the EEC, which was a non-political free-trade organisation.

Major is approaching the level of BLiar.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
i would love to be able to listen to what MP's are saying to each other now they have let us know just what traitorous wretches they are. They at least know the level of contempt the public hold them in, as all contributors on social media have made it absolutely plain of their absolute loathing of them.
Hi

But do they?

They are carrying on regardless.

Perhaps they hold us in more contempt than we hold them?

They are certainly in an unassailable position with our current political system.

Page 7 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top