Join for free
Page 232 of 370 « First < 132 182 222 230 231 232 233 234 242 282 332 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 11:11 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Foxy, there was a bit on telly last night about Joggers getting that ' Joggers Nipple.'

It said it is more common in men because the ladies usually wear bra's or better still, sports bra's and this protects the nipple from chafing on their T.shirt.

I have heard about this complaint, but was quite shocked to see how bad it can be. It showed loads of men with their nipples actually bleeding. It looked awful.
One runner said he has scar tissue on his now and it has altered the shape of his nipple.

Have you ever suffered like that? The runners on telly said to put Vaseline on the skin for protection.
I never dreamed it could be that bad.
Yes Mups, I've suffered 'Joggers Nipple' on a couple of occasions, showering is extremely painful. It's mainly caused by clothing chaffing on the nipples which grow hard in cold weather and stick out. Getting rained on while out running will also cause sore nipples. In the past I have arrived at the finish with bleeding nipples, but you quickly learn how to prevent it...

On any distance over thirteen miles I would place surgical tape over both nipples, Vaseline can also be applied but on long distance races it will wear off.
On marathons you can often see members of St Johns Ambulance Brigade standing at the side of the road with their hands out containing Vaseline...

The inside at the top of the legs can also rub and cause irritation, Vaseline prevents this, although regular runners will soon lose the fat that accumulates at the top of the legs, but in the rain I will still apply Vaseline. Preparation is everything at the start of a long run, and will prevent days of agony....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 04:15 AM

Foxy, there was a bit on telly last night about Joggers getting that ' Joggers Nipple.'

It said it is more common in men because the ladies usually wear bra's or better still, sports bra's and this protects the nipple from chafing on their T.shirt.

I have heard about this complaint, but was quite shocked to see how bad it can be. It showed loads of men with their nipples actually bleeding. It looked awful.
One runner said he has scar tissue on his now and it has altered the shape of his nipple.

Have you ever suffered like that? The runners on telly said to put Vaseline on the skin for protection.
I never dreamed it could be that bad.
That can happen in surfing too, Mups. That is one of the reasons both men and women wear rashguards, tight lycra, long or short sleeved shirts over their swimwear. Great for sun protection too.

There's not a chance of that happening to me when running! Way TMI, but I have everything locked down, lifted up, and cemented into place so their is not the slightest movement when I run. I own stock in the Lycra market .

I have seen a few fine looking men I wouldn't mind offering either prevention or first aid should this be an issue .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I have seen a few fine looking men I wouldn't mind offering either prevention or first aid should this be an issue .
Did I tell you, Suzie that I'm about to start running immediately?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 04:41 AM

Ruthio, well done on starting your fitness year. Oooo, thanks for the tip on the movie too! Have a lovely weekend.

Floydy, I hope those sevens brought you enough good luck to knock down that cold. That's determination to keep right on moving through a virus .

OGF, I noticed you have a Forerunner . I live and die by mine. I used to teach within a mile of Garmin headquarters and tested a few of the early models when they were first developed - ridiculously big on my wrist, but I was thrilled with the technology. Great, reliable products! Super job on getting all the running squeezed into a weekend of wild partying, unbridled dancing, and newsworthy all-night shenanigans.

I surfed happily and for three sessions in the chilly water today and it was pure bliss - until, with numb hands and feet, it was time to get out of my wetsuit, which is always entertaining to unfortunate onlookers . By the time I defrosted, there was only enough time for four miles before it was just too dark to run. Pace not great, but I got it done. I am pretty much mush now !
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 06:16 AM

A nice surf 'n' run there Suzie. You and Bob may be in some kind of light-hearted competition in the running stakes but I think you have the upper hand...I can't imagine Bob surfing anytime soon

Going back to the "Jogger's Nipple" problem, I used to get it when I was running in my RAF days when I'd do my weights then pound the streets of Lincoln (North Lincolnshire, not Nebraska btw!) and it used to be terrible when the weather was dry. I got around it by wearing silk jogging tops although they did make you sweat too much. Now I have to live with "chafing legs syndrome" on the tops of the thighs - a drawback of too much leg training over the years but I live with it. When I was really into the bodybuilding I'd put a little olive oil around the affecting area which eased it.
perhaps that would work on Jogger's Nipple, although it does make a mess of your clothing!

- - - - - -

It's been an easy night at work to be honest. I think my manager took one look at me and decided to keep me away from the rest of the lads. I ended up with a very cushy job in the office updating "manual handling" files and checking if forklift training refreshers are up to date, all part of my annual checks as an OJT - 'On The Job Trainer'.

Still not feeling 100 per cent but it's cardio later this afternoon, so I'll do the best I can with it...plus! it's the weekend already. I could get used to these one day weeks very nicely I think!

Just a quick note on my training plans and the current "7's" which run alongside the "40-30-20-10's". What I think I'll do is run that programme for two months making as many increases in gains as possible then stop it and then do two months of a different duo of routines for the following couple of months. I don't know what that will entail as yet - let's just get this one underway a little more first - but at least a few changes throughout the year will keep the motivation going steady.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes Mups, I've suffered 'Joggers Nipple' on a couple of occasions, showering is extremely painful. It's mainly caused by clothing chaffing on the nipples which grow hard in cold weather and stick out. Getting rained on while out running will also cause sore nipples. In the past I have arrived at the finish with bleeding nipples, but you quickly learn how to prevent it...

On any distance over thirteen miles I would place surgical tape over both nipples, Vaseline can also be applied but on long distance races it will wear off.
On marathons you can often see members of St Johns Ambulance Brigade standing at the side of the road with their hands out containing Vaseline.

The inside at the top of the legs can also rub and cause irritation, Vaseline prevents this, although regular runners will soon lose the fat that accumulates at the top of the legs, but in the rain I will still apply Vaseline. Preparation is everything at the start of a long run, and will prevent days of agony....

Good grief Foxy, and it's considered a healthy pastime? The tape seems the best idea to me.

A thought just comes to me though . . if running does that to the external skin, is it good to rattle internal organs about long distance? You can't protect very easily.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Good grief Foxy, and it's considered a healthy pastime? The tape seems the best idea to me.

A thought just comes to me though . . if running does that to the external skin, is it good to rattle internal organs about long distance? You can't protect very easily.
Morning Mups....

Running is a fantastically healthy pastime Mups but as they say 'Too much of a good thing' Joggers Nipple and chaffing is something your average jogger will never experience unless they are caught out in the rain.

I have known the odd runner who has had discomfort in the kidneys, and even peed blood, but this is usually down to dehydration rather than the pounding. Most of our internal organs are pretty secure and are surrounded by fluid and soft tissue to protect them.

There is a bit of a misconception among non runners about all the pounding that goes on during a run. Sprinters and running downhill would produce greater than average shock to the joints and muscles, but generally speaking a runner slides along rather than jumps along and there would be more force exerted when walking (all the weight is dropped on one leg before moving to the next step) The runners leg is usually outstretched when the force is exerted and only exists for a short time as the leg is rotated. Momentum moves the runner forward as well as the kick just as rotation ends. Sort of perpetual motion. This is one of the reasons runners can run over slippy surfaces when it's almost impossible to walk on.

So very little shock actually permeates as high as the trunk, it would have been absorbed by the feet, legs and hips. Of course this is all relative to the speed, but in long slow distance running it doesn't cause many problems, if any. Problems are mainly related to incorrect or worn footwear, or old age....

Sensible precautions should always be taken when doing any sort of exercise and with running all your bits must be secure. Surfermom uses biblical clothing to prevent excess movement (Lo and Behold) I always wear tight fitting briefs or slips to keep things secure, only once did I run without underwear (commando) just relying on the gusset of the shorts for support, and to say I suffered a couple of days of discomfort would be an understatement.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 12:29 PM

Thank you Foxy.

How many years have you been running for?
Are your hips, knees and feet still good do you think?

Sorry if I have monopolised your thread folks.
I keep thinking of more questions.
I'll pipe down after this one.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Morning Surfermom....
Yes I bought my Garmin Forerunner some eighteen years ago to take out the guesswork when trying to ascertain the distance of my running courses. The distances of all of my regular routes have long since been established (they were pretty accurate after previously been measured on my bike) and being the stickler that I am, I did them all again using the GPS.

I only use it now for new routes or while away from home on holiday for accurate distance, time and pace information. I believe the latest models are somewhat smaller and incorporate heart rate data, I should use one really...
It would be a good birthday present from Mrs Fox......

I think that you, Floydy and Ruthio have hit the ground running in 2019 so let's hope we can all keep up the good work..... I ventured out in around 3*C this morning and completed a satisfying five miles, about half a minute faster than yesterday.....It was the honey smothered muffins for last night's supper wot done it....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-01-2019, 12:45 PM

Thank you Foxy.

How many years have you been running for?
Are your hips, knees and feet still good do you think?

Sorry if I have monopolised your thread folks.
I keep thinking of more questions.
I'll pipe down after this one.
Not at all Mups, it's good to see you in here.....
If you're interested I can email you an account of my running career up to about 2014....It's a bit too big to post on here, but it will help you get to sleep on those nights when you can't drift off.....

Page 232 of 370 « First < 132 182 222 230 231 232 233 234 242 282 332 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top