Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Re: First our Hoovers, now it's our Kettles and Hairdryers !

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
or maybe our Toilet flushes!! Mind you, they usually have to be flushed more than once over there - compared to our good old one flush here.
I can tell you (having just had a new toilet installed) that they are not 'good old one flush' anymore. Don't want to go into detail but the new ones need at least two flushes

However, being more intelligent than the Brussels law makers I am happy to tell you that I have modified the float valve and added a bit of pipe to the overflow and now my Euro toilet does fill with adequate amount of water and does dispose of the unmentionable with one flush.

I must say that it gives me a big smile to know that every time I flush the toilet I am directly by passing these stupid laws and there's nothing they can do to stop me

Have found a fix for the stupid light bulb con as well

I am working on the hoover, toaster, and other such things. Luckily I bought an industrial hoover a few years ago which has a motor that can suck for England so the Brussels directive that we are only allowed the smaller motors doesn't effect me
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 02:58 AM

If my kettle takes longer to boil I'll be out of business, my brickies won't go without their brews so tea breaks will be longer.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 10:00 AM

Are we sure that there is enough truth in this to warrant the amount of mental energy and outrage? Is there a source? Is it perhaps an anti-EU newspaper stirring things?

Just asking - I don't know the facts so won't indulge in too much speculation. I do know that newspapers don't tend to hold back in letting the truth get in the way of a good story
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 10:06 AM

Exactly and don't we have some input for these decisions?
There is not a faceless army of bureaucrats in Brussels deciding what their next move to disrupt our lives will be.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:48 PM

Don't panic (Mr Manwaring), don't panic !!!! - the EU have apparently backed away from such changes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6899551.html
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 02:05 PM

No they haven't; they've PAUSED (or put it on the back burner if you like) until after the referendum.

So much for their claims that they'd like us to leave. The truth is they'd really miss us...

or rather our £50million per day contributions.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No they haven't; they've PAUSED (or put it on the back burner if you like) until after the referendum.

So much for their claims that they'd like us to leave. The truth is they'd really miss us...

or rather our £50million per day contributions.
Hi

We will also miss this

In 2014, the 27 other EU countries invested £496 billion in Britain – 48 percent of all foreign investment in the country, according to figures from the British parliament.

The £50 million a day is not our Net Contribution, it is around £33 million a day.

Yes, they will miss it, but you can bet they will get it back by simply imposing tariffs .

The EU is the world's largest Trading Block, they will decide the rules if we want to trade with them.

45% of our Exports go to the EU, against 16% of the EU's Exports going to the UK.

We have far more to lose than they have, yes we will eventually make trade deals with the rest of the world, but these trade deals take years to negotiate.

We will be negotiating with some very hard nosed Countries, they will look after their own interests, not ours.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
45% of our Exports go to the EU, against 16% of the EU's Exports going to the UK.

We have far more to lose than they have, yes we will eventually make trade deals with the rest of the world, but these trade deals take years to negotiate.

We will be negotiating with some very hard nosed Countries, they will look after their own interests, not ours.
I think this has been discussed before.
I believe the EU needs us more than we need them.
My voting intention remains unchanged. If the general consensus is to remain in, I'll sit back with a wry smile on my face and watch the country continue its journey around the U-bend!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think this has been discussed before.
I believe the EU needs us more than we need them.
My voting intention remains unchanged. If the general consensus is to remain in, I'll sit back with a wry smile on my face and watch the country continue its journey around the U-bend!
Hi.

We have indeed, however we have very different views.

If we do leave it will not personally hurt me.

I will be signing Export Certificates.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-02-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi.

We have indeed, however we have very different views.

If we do leave it will not personally hurt me.

I will be signing Export Certificates.
Good!

As I've said before, not having any children my only personal concern is the fact that the NHS is becoming seriously over-used and unable to cope with demands, although I'm not going to go into the reasons for that: they have been discussed before.
Fortunately, at least locally, I find that things are not too bad at present and hope that my own and my wife's needs can still be met for now.

It is more likely that the younger people will be the ones to suffer the eventual consequences although, from what I hear, it is they who are more likely to want to remain in the EU.
As they say, we get what we deserve.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top