Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 01:09 PM

I just can't do it without counting calories

Unless I hold myself accountable for everything I put into my mouth, i.e. recording everything into my Fitday food journal, I gain weight.

I lost 17 pounds by counting calories. Just like years ago I lost 80 pounds by counting calories. That's just under 6 stone of weight loss. When I stopped counting (mostly because I got sick of it) slowly, over time, I put most of the weight back on. So I started counting calories again. Dropped 17 pounds back off. Got sick of counting, so I stopped. I've put 10 pounds back on. 7 more to go and I'll be right back where I started.

It's my mindset. If I'm not holding myself accountable for what I eat, I get careless and eat too much.

So I think I'm throwing in the towel. I'll continue to eat as healthfully as I possibly can, stay away from junk that's not good for me and throw away the damn scales.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Re: I just can't do it without counting calories

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
It's my mindset. If I'm not holding myself accountable for what I eat, I get careless and eat too much.

So I think I'm throwing in the towel. I'll continue to eat as healthfully as I possibly can, stay away from junk that's not good for me and throw away the damn scales.
...and stick to small portions
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 01:21 PM

Oh most definitely, Meg, portion control is a big part of it too.

I do okay during the week, but I think where I'm screwing up is on the weekends. You know how that goes!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 01:33 PM

Hi

No chance of counting calories with me.

I just pile up my plate with vast amounts of steamed or roasted veg and away I go.

I eat that first, which fills me up and I also have a pint of water before eating, again to fill me up.

Sundays the diet goes out of the window, but that is only one day a week and my sweet tooth has disappeared.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 02:02 PM

OMG
I wish someone would just put me in a coma for a month (preferably January ) so I couldn't eat anything. Hopefully my inner bacteria would give up their sugar craving and munch on the stored fat !
Linda0818
USA

28-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No chance of counting calories with me.

I just pile up my plate with vast amounts of steamed or roasted veg and away I go.

I eat that first, which fills me up and I also have a pint of water before eating, again to fill me up.

Sundays the diet goes out of the window, but that is only one day a week and my sweet tooth has disappeared.
Good plan, I'll keep that in mind. And Sunday with me has always been "eat whatever I want day", even when I lost the 80 pounds in the past. But lately I've been making it an all weekend thing and I need to stop doing that.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
OMG
I wish someone would just put me in a coma for a month (preferably January ) so I couldn't eat anything. Hopefully my inner bacteria would give up their sugar craving and munch on the stored fat !
Yikes, be careful what you wish for
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 02:25 PM

It's all relative, lets say you are a bloke, for instance weighing 14 stone, you eat and drink what you like, but stay at ball park 14 stone, you must be burning the calorie intake. If the same guy decides to lose a stone, by counting a reduced calorie intake, and after say 2 months, weighs in at 13 stones, he should be able to return to his original eating/drinking regime, and maintain that weight, not sure if that is the same for ladies.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Oh most definitely, Meg, portion control is a big part of it too.

I do okay during the week, but I think where I'm screwing up is on the weekends. You know how that goes!
Linda oddly since I made a lifstyle change in June for health reasons I have no desire to stray from my new path even at weekends.

A health scare is the best diet ever
Linda0818
USA

28-08-2017, 03:29 PM

Well, the formula for weight loss really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. It's calories in vs calories out. If you're not that active, you need fewer calories. And I'm not an active person. So I'm not really burning that much.

I was losing weight taking in about 1500-1700 calories per day. I know for a fact I've been eating more than that lately, more often than I should be. That and I'm in my early 50's now and menopausal and I've found losing the weight has become more difficult than it was before menopause reared its ugly head. Like my doctor always says, who is the same age I am, "Losing weight at our age is like rollerskating uphill."

She ain't kiddin! LOL
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Counting calories is plain silly imo.

I mean if you are going to analyse to that level then you need to know ALL the info, not just the calorific value of your food.

For example, how many calories is your body burning ?

How many is it burning overnight?
How many in the morning, noon and night?

If you don't know that info then how can you determine how many calories you should be eating? Are you really just going to take some arbitrary "total calorie" figure dreamt up by someone that they are trying to apply to all women?

It's a nonsense

Just resolve to eat good healthy food.

Knowing/learning good from bad is the key.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top